Found a deer stand in city limits today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part-1

It was maybe 1000 feet from a neighborhood and you could see part of the houses from its location. From a distance, I thought it must be old, but got closer and it had a nice feeder and trail camera setup so I am guessing someone is stealth bow hunting back in there (it was pretty thick woods but just on the edge of a clearing. I thought it was city land or owned by a nearby church, but some people who live in the area told me today that it was private land that the owner unofficially didn't mind if the locals enjoyed it responsibly.

Part-2

So lets assume this stand is just some guy who lives near by and not the land owner. What are the rules? If he doesn't own the land and installed a permanent stand in a tree, could someone else use it if the guy wasn't there that day (or at least hunt the same spot without using the stand)? I've run into that while exploring at thunderbird too...people on PUBLIC land leaving their stands and stuff setup as if to claim a hunting spot, and then they are not even there. I am not a deer hunter, but plan to be when I get to it...so I could use some advice because it seems wrong to setup your stuff in a place you don't own and keep others from hunting that spot?

Thoughts on either part 1 or 2?
So, you trespassed. Signage isn’t required. That law changed in 2021 I believe.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here in Inola, I think there is too many deer running around. Always a dead one on the main road. Back in North Carolina there is a season for Urban deer hunting with a bow.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, you trespassed. Signage isn’t required. That law changed in 2021 I believe.
Nah, I was walking at a church that butts up to the land that had the deer stand....there was no delineation of any borders. As mentioned, there are trails all over there and the locals were walking the trails as well. Not the same to me as knowingly crossing a posted barrier. This wasn't someone's homestead; I'd never do that. Also, word from the locals is the old man that owns the land doesn't care and that is why he doesn't have fences up. As such, I am still skeptical the deer stand was known to the owner...I am betting it is a local who slips in and hunts well before that huge neighborhood went in.

So technically, maybe you are right, but I was but unaware, so don't try to group me in with poachers and real trespassers. Also, this thread is old and I'd say it has been educational and I have not been back if that makes you feel better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom