Found this old 1911 any ideas about it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was at the pawn shop talking about the gold cup, he showed a gun he just got in pawn. Old 1911 FN.
Here's a couple of pictures. Got any idea what he's got?
FN 1.JPG
FN 2.JPG
FN 3.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But you called it a 1911. Unless you meant manufacturers date, which wouldnt be right as the HP came out in 1935.
FN made Hi Powers and that looks like a Hi Power trigger, slide lock and frame, etc.
Nope. Lack of knowledge on my part. It's made, as far as the owner knew, in the 30's. He thinks 38 ish. I called it a 1911 because it looks like a 1911.
Found this on the web with a picture of a gun that look exactly like it.
Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (French for National Factory of Herstal) — self identified as FN Herstal and often referred to as Fabrique Nationale or simply FN — is a leading firearms manufacturer located in Herstal, Belgium, owned by the regional government of Wallonia. It is currently the largest exporter of military small arms in Europe

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, its quite a bit different than a 1911 but I guess if you're not versed in them they are somewhat similar.

Its a double stack 9mm. Still single action but the trigger is on a pivot instead of a slide like 1911's. JMB started the design but it wasnt finished until after his death.

Its the original style with internal extractor. It got switched to an internal extractor in 64 IIRC.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's an early FN High Power (also known as the Hi Power, BHP, GP, P-35), which was the last gun JMB did design work on (Fabrique Nationale had to complete the designs after his death). Early HP's can be recognized quickly because they feature an internal extractor. Later versions have an external extractor. They've been made by countless licensed manufacturers the world over and used by military units pretty much everywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...known-facts-about-the-fn-browning-high-power/

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see a Waffenamt mark on the LH side of the frame. Likely taken into German service in WWII. The Nazi's put conscript labor to work in the FN plant. They sometimes succeeded in deliberate making a bad product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom