Found this old 1911 any ideas about it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocktogo, I am still not convinced. Ruger has been casting 1911 frames and slides for Kimber, S&W, Caspian and many others and no one has mentioned the "thicker and heavier".

I was speaking of Ruger's P series pistols and their DA revolvers. As for their 1911 frames, I'm sure they're fine (and if anyone knows proper casting, it's Ruger). It's just that between the two, I prefer forged and I'll bet others do too.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible, but other than a different, higher quality, steel to begin with, I can't imagine any possible way a cast frame could be stronger than a forged frame.
When they looked into adapting their pistol to the then-new .40 S&W cartridge, FN engineers found that 9mm forged Hi Power frames cracked under the added recoil impulse of the .40. Cast frames, on the other hand, did not crack, and so were used thereafter by FN on both the 9mm and .40 model Hi Powers. The cast frames are slightly thicker than the forged Hi Power frame, but it takes a practiced eye to tell the two apart.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, and the bottom of the cast HP's have "serration" on the bottom.

Top is forged, bottom is cast.
I'm sure mightymouse knows this...but the rest may not.

download.jpg

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practiced. Or "Practical"? :D
Reminds me of the time I took the hard-chromed slide off of an Argentine-made FM-90 clone I once owned and swapped it onto a forged, blued, BHP frame, yielding a "reverse" Practical to go with the BHP Practical I also owned at the time. After 10 BHPs and half a dozen clones, though, I'm anything but practical.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, and the bottom of the cast HP's have "serration" on the bottom.

Top is forged, bottom is cast.
I'm sure mightymouse knows this...but the rest may not.

View attachment 107298
My Israeli police surplus HP does not have the serrations. If what you say is so, mine is forged. From the serial number, I gather that it was made in 1990 and is in excellent shape according to my gunsmith.

Latest posts

Top Bottom