Fox 25 News - "Concealed Carry Crash Courses"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been hearing teasers all day on the radio for a Fox 25 news "exposé" on SDA instructors that are willing to offer a CLEET certificate with as few as two hours of training. I heard this issue mentioned during my NRA Pistol Instructor course recently, and thought it was only a matter of time before our dirty laundry was exposed to make us all look bad. The news report is scheduled for 9PM.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's bullcrap anyway. you won't learn anything from a class that you wouldn't from just reading the SDA law book. Taking the class has no effect on "public safety" whatsoever, aside from making the pols feel better about themselves.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's bullcrap anyway. you won't learn anything from a class that you wouldn't from just reading the SDA law book. Taking the class has no effect on "public safety" whatsoever, aside from making the pols feel better about themselves.

This is true. A good portion of the instructor material doesn't even apply to concealed carry, but transporting a firearm without a permit, giving a felon a gun, castle doctrine, and Oklahoma's gun laws in general, fines for breaking the statutes, how to apply, where the money goest, etc. The safety portion covers some of the same, who you can and cant give a gun to, etc, basic gun safety, stance, how to load and unload, and then 50 rounds on the range. There is no score for the shooting portion. All a person has to do is demonstrate safe gun handling. The law also stated, which I think has been reworded, that instruction was UP TO 4 hours classroom, and UP TO 4 hours gun safety/range. The blame shouldn't be put on the instructors if people have a problem with it but the state for their crappy requirements and curriculum. The same people who complain about the training though, are usually the same who tout constitutional carry, which perplexes me, since there would be no training at that point. I work in a position where my customers are PD and Fire, PD qualifies every 6 months on their firearms. I see a lot of these guys violate the rules of gun safety all the time, proving that qualification is meaningless. Some are so unsafe that as soon as they start busting out the bang sticks to show em off, I leave. I mean, I saw you clear it, but that doesn't mean you wave it in my face. Accidents happen! I mean how many idiots are on the road, yet had some sort of training, more than 8 hours most likely, and passed a test, yet show a complete ineptitude for operating a motor vehicle?

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet somehow there are some places that manage to cram 30 minutes worth of info into 8 hours.

I don't need to hear war stories about your time on the force. I don't care that somebody else in the class almost had to blast some guy. I don't need to know that the 1911 is the greatest pistol of all time, and nobody should carry anything else.

Tell me what I need to know, make sure I can handle the firearm safely, and let me go on down the road.

Oh, and I don't need a 15 minute break every 30 minutes, plus an hour for lunch.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same people who complain about the training though, are usually the same who tout constitutional carry, which perplexes me, since there would be no training at that point.

I'm for constitutional carry, and I don't think the state has any right to tax or put restrictions on the exercise of a constitutionally protected natural right.

I can't speak for everyone else, but when I complain about the training, it's more of ”I can't believe I have to pay to sit through this bullcrap”, not "I think we need more/better training"

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you only have one student and you cover all the material including range in less than the required 8 hours what do you do?

And thats the thing, until this Nov, it was 10 students per instructor, which is why H&H and the like have 6 guys come in, they are all "instructors", so they can run 60 people through a single class. So a lot of those two hour guys, probably only had 2 students. Part of the safety portion, every student is supposed to demonstrate loading and unloading a revolver, semi-auto etc, and given time until they are comfortable. Dry firing, be taught grip, breathing control, Isosceles and Weaver stance, etc. As far as filling those 8 hours, thats why H&H has 6 guys up there telling you there been there done that stories. If a guy had two students from OSA, that **** would go pretty quick.

N8, that comment wasnt directed at you, but I have seen people complain about instructors not doing the 8 hours of instruction before, who do support constitutional carry.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, I strongly disagree. I don't think you are qualified to make this statement unless you have taught the class for say 20 times and evaluated the people that attend this class. A good qualified instructor can convey ideas, instructions, knowledge, and just a plain understanding of gun safety, the liabilities of carrying a gun and much, much more that is not in the SDA.

Now, comes the safety training module/teaching contained in the OK Handgun License course. A novice can in no way gain this information from 'reading' the SDA. For example, the SDA does not define or state the uses of the 'slide lock'. I would say over 85% of students attending the class have any idea of what the slide lock does or where it is. I think we all would agree that it is important to lock the slide back to show that the gun is empty while at the range.

For example, I had one student that brought his Glock to shoot. When I locked the slide back without the magazine, he looked at me and said, 'I have owned that gun for 20 years and never knew how to do that.' I think he learned something that day.

I feel I bring a great deal of info to the class that is not contained directly in the
SDA.

Regarding your statement that the class does nothing for 'public safety', how about this. Over 90 percent of the students that come to my classes do not understand that they are responsible for every bullet they shoot. If they fire a shot that misses the bad guy and kills an innocent person, the shooter is responsible for this. When I teach them this fact and to be careful where and who they shoot, I would say it helps public safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom