Fox 25 News - "Concealed Carry Crash Courses"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA Handbook (Nov 12 edition) states the following under Title 21, Section 1290.14, paragraph B, 2:

2. The course shall be at least sixteen (16) hours in length;
Holy crap--how could they possibly squeeze all 30 minutes' worth of useful content into those 16 hours?

Glad I did it back in '97. I think we were doing good to stretch it to four hours back then...

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA Handbook (Nov 12 edition) states the following under Title 21, Section 1290.14, paragraph B, 2:

Not so fast. ALL of paragraph B isTraining to be an Instructor, NOT the CC course taught to everyone.

Paragraph E specifies the course taught to everyone, and the key phrase is "CLEET shall establish the couse content and promulgate rules,..."
The first 6 hours of the couse has so much required material that it is a challenge to get through it. The 2 hours alloted to shooting probably will not be used for just a couple of students.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There are still exemptions from all or part of the training for certain persons (law enforcement, military, etc.) who can show proof of prior training.

I do not have the new SDA handbook that suspect what you are referring to is the "Instructor" qualification course, not the SDA carry permit. Either that or a typo. . .

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not so fast. ALL of paragraph B isTraining to be an Instructor, NOT the CC course taught to everyone.

Paragraph E specifies the course taught to everyone, and the key phrase is "CLEET shall establish the couse content and promulgate rules,..."
The first 6 hours of the couse has so much required material that it is a challenge to get through it. The 2 hours alloted to shooting probably will not be used for just a couple of students.

You are completely correct - my bad - I will delete my previous post to prevent further confusion.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the CLEET course material specify and dictate that the course must last 8 hours, or is it just a recommended schedule?

The SDA itself doesn't mandate a minimum of 8 hours, it sets a maximum of 8.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the CLEET course material specify and dictate that the course must last 8 hours, or is it just a recommended schedule?

The SDA itself doesn't mandate a minimum of 8 hours, it sets a maximum of 8.

CLEET provides a detailed lesson plan that mandates so much material that it is difficult to cover in 6 hours, especially to the detail specified.
For each class, the instructor fills out a mandatory form that specifies time and location of classroom and a separate entry for the range. The form requires at least 6 hours classroom, stated right on the form.

Having taught for Federal, College, and gun courses in/for 4 states, I teach exactly what is required, no war stories, no BS, and I use every bit of the 6 hours. With a small class, not all the 2 hours range time is always required.

I am apalled that any instructor would gloss over the law section of the course, as several people have related to me. I allowed some people to audit my SDA class after they took a "half-day" course, which spent about 1 hour on the law part vs the 4 hours it takes by the CLEET lesson plan. I assign as "homework" to read the entire SDA once in your life while waiting for your license, but that is in addition to covering ALL the required topics in the CLEET lesson plan.

As an aside, I have run into the same problem in doing hunter safety in 3 states: some people just can't teach and should not try. There is one individual in SW OK "teaching" Hunter Safety and SDA courses (whom I know well) that could not follow a lesson plan if his life depended on it. His students pass the written tests only because he reads them the answers just before the test. He spends the rest of the time preaching and BS-ing.
I wish CLEET had the personnel to audit every instructor in the state, and maintain quality. If we have to do it, we should have to do it uniformly.

A whole separate subject is whether there should be a state-mandated course at all. That should be a different topic.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info, Thanks.

So, are the guys who are running short classes pencil whipping the form and lying to the State or are they being honest about the time on the form and the state doesn't review it/call them out?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CLEET provides a detailed lesson plan that mandates so much material that it is difficult to cover in 6 hours, especially to the detail specified.
For each class, the instructor fills out a mandatory form that specifies time and location of classroom and a separate entry for the range. The form requires at least 6 hours classroom, stated right on the form.

My forms don't say that, none of my instructor materials say that and I have never listed 6 classroom hours in any schedule I have submitted??

Latest posts

Top Bottom