Frankenstein AR-15 troubleshooting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The smith took the bcg back into the work room for a bit, came out, and said it was too large and gave a measurement (can't remember exactly what it was... 0.8something something and that it should have been 0.7something something I think... been a few days and I've slept since then, lol).

Sorry bro, but I laugh at that.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious, but are you running the BCG dry, or wet? Try lubing it up really well, like running off, dripping wet with lube. Let it just drip off then reassemble just before shooting. Might make a difference.

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I made it to the range today. I did not have my milspec buffer/buffer spring from my MP15... forgot it at a friends house in Texas last weekend, lol. BUT... I did have a H2 buffer and the bcg from the MP15,

Cleaned the gun and lubed it up well (kind of like you suggested undeg01). Tried the same two ammos (Winchester whitebox and PMC X-Tac 55gr).

Without changing anything the Winchester worked fine over probably 25-50 reloads (one round in each mag, five mags laid out... ran through them and then did it all over again multiple times). The PMC stuck on 2 of the first 5.

With the H2 things seemed better at first... but the PMC still didn't hold the bolt open regularly.

With the H3 and the basic bcg from the MP15 everything worked fine. Went back to the ToolCraft NiB and H3 and ran more Winchester... everything was fine.

The boxes for the two ammos indicated that the Winchester ran at about 60fps higher at muzzle than the PMC... I am assuming those were from the same barrel length.

Not quite 100% sure what this means. I didn't have enough PMC with me (dummy me didn't bring much to the range) to get really good testing done, but the Winchester never failed. I probably put close to, or maybe a little over, 100 rounds through total with the Winchester.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a couple questions for you:

Gas Rings good?
BCG swap with known good one?
Barrel? Is it a 5r?
How tall are you?

One of these questions will lead you to the answer.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I made it to the range today. I did not have my milspec buffer/buffer spring from my MP15... forgot it at a friends house in Texas last weekend, lol. BUT... I did have a H2 buffer and the bcg from the MP15,

Cleaned the gun and lubed it up well (kind of like you suggested undeg01). Tried the same two ammos (Winchester whitebox and PMC X-Tac 55gr).

Without changing anything the Winchester worked fine over probably 25-50 reloads (one round in each mag, five mags laid out... ran through them and then did it all over again multiple times). The PMC stuck on 2 of the first 5.

With the H2 things seemed better at first... but the PMC still didn't hold the bolt open regularly.

With the H3 and the basic bcg from the MP15 everything worked fine. Went back to the ToolCraft NiB and H3 and ran more Winchester... everything was fine.

The boxes for the two ammos indicated that the Winchester ran at about 60fps higher at muzzle than the PMC... I am assuming those were from the same barrel length.

Not quite 100% sure what this means. I didn't have enough PMC with me (dummy me didn't bring much to the range) to get really good testing done, but the Winchester never failed. I probably put close to, or maybe a little over, 100 rounds through total with the Winchester.
It sounds like its a combination of things: too heavy a buffer/spring and the gas key on the ToolCraft BCG. Also, it being a new firearm, the upper might not be fully broken in yet, which is causing drag on the BCG in combination to the above items.

Your best bet is to lighten the buffer and spring. If the gas key is slightly too big, reducing the resistance will help it cycle properly.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the magazine, new or old?

Try using the same magazine in both positions to eliminate the magazine.

Make sure your springs are correct for the set up?

1. RIFLE: 11 3/4 Inches (29 85 cm) minimum to 13 1/2 inches (34 29 cm) maximum

2. CARBINE: 10 1/16 inches (25.56 cm) minimum to 11 1/4 inches (28.58 cm) maximum.

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gas rings appear good.
The bcg swap I did was with a stock bcg that came with a M&P15 MOE. That one ran fine.
The barrel is this one Expo Arms Combat Series 11.5" 5.56 NATO Chrome Lined AR-15 Barrel - SOCOM Profile - Carbine Length
And I am about 5'6" 180lbs.

The magazines aren't brand new, but by no means worn. And I used 5 different ones when the problem first revealed itself. The same five when the Winchester ran fine (with no set up changes) and the same five with the MP15 bcg ran fine with both Winchester and PMC.

My milspec buffer/spring are "away" (got left in a box of parts at my friends house). Once I get them back I plan on returning to do more testing with the H2 and the milspec buffer/spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom