Freaking ceiling fans!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hung literately thousands of ceiling fans in my day but they keep getting harder to work on every year. Trying to replace the fan speed control in my bedroom and you have to plug the wires into the switch. The wires are small gauge stranded so it wants to bend instead of stabbing in.

My arms get tired being over my head for long periods of time so I have to do a little, take a break do a little more, take another break, do a little, sit down and *****, etc, etc, etc. Just venting a little while I figure out what to do.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, I am just going to finish my lunch. go out to the garage and find some solid wire. Should plug right in.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tin it.

On a second note my little rent house on 13th and may I did not put up any ceiling fans and took a couple out and replaced with a regular light.
Less maintenance.

Had one renter in another house pull my regular lights in a couple rooms and put up ceiling fans without me knowing about it.
They are still working a few years after he left but I still hate them.

Back under my rock.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have hung literately thousands of ceiling fans in my day but they keep getting harder to work on every year. Trying to replace the fan speed control in my bedroom and you have to plug the wires into the switch. The wires are small gauge stranded so it wants to bend instead of stabbing in.

My arms get tired being over my head for long periods of time so I have to do a little, take a break do a little more, take another break, do a little, sit down and *****, etc, etc, etc. Just venting a little while I figure out what to do.
I like to tin them: solder those free ends...twist them tight, stick them in elec flux, and hit them with elec solder. Then trim to length and then you can stab them into the little holes.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We usually use a pull rod to pull 'em through if you're talking about going through a wall etc. Much easier than the poke method. If you're talking about the switch on the fan itself, tinning would make it easier, or inviting the kids over for a visit. "Hey guys, you wanna come over and have dinner with us? We're missing you". Then when they get there you're up on a ladder looking like a sad hound dog.
If the plan goes right they crawl up there with their much better eyes than yours and stab the hole, tie the whole thing back up, and Bob's your granny. Put some ribs on the grill and call it a day.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of replacing 8 ceiling fans myself. It would go faster if I didn't have to "correct" the fire hazard wiring going to the junction box on 1/2 of them.......

One of the previous owners ran jumper wires from the junction box on top on the joist down to the fan box under the joist with 18G stranded speaker wire. On another they ran THHN to the junction box without conduit. And multiple wire splices in Romex made with only electrical tape and no junction box at all.

I still have no idea how this place never burnt down..... This is the same house that had the LIVE electrical panel behind the SHOWER with no cover or sheetrock. Only the shower liner was keeping the moisture out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom