Free IDPA Scoring ShareWare

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AlabamaShootersForum.com Free IDPA Scoring System

Easy to use Excel Macro based system. Much faster and easier than a standard score sheet...especially after you get your shooter list built.

Totally free. No licenses. No EULA.

I would still pay a few dollars for ForScore from Beach Bunny. It is easy to use, is the software used at the nationals and has a terrific support structure.

gunbug

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would still pay a few dollars for ForScore from Beach Bunny. It is easy to use, is the software used at the nationals and has a terrific support structure.

Beach Bunny software does work fine. It is more complex than the ASF Scoring System, but it does includes more functionality. The problem with Beach Bunny that we were trying to overcome, is that Beach Bunny is computer-specific. So, if different folks in your club assist in scoring preparation, then the $100 per license starts to get expensive. For sanctioned matches Beach Bunny is definitely the way to go. For club matches, where distributed scoring is more likely, ASF Scoring System is a quality viable and inexpensive (free) alternative.

We are sharing it to help other clubs. It is designed to give a better solution for those who typically use standard excel worksheets for score recording. Basically, it is designed for users who cannot, or do not want to, afford Beach Bunny.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beach Bunny software does work fine. It is more complex than the ASF Scoring System, but it does includes more functionality. The problem with Beach Bunny that we were trying to overcome, is that Beach Bunny is computer-specific. So, if different folks in your club assist in scoring preparation, then the $100 per license starts to get expensive. For sanctioned matches Beach Bunny is definitely the way to go. For club matches, where distributed scoring is more likely, ASF Scoring System is a quality viable and inexpensive (free) alternative.

We are sharing it to help other clubs. It is designed to give a better solution for those who typically use standard excel worksheets for score recording. Basically, it is designed for users who cannot, or do not want to, afford Beach Bunny.

You make good points, however you may not know that ForScore can be mobile through the use of a "Dongle". The dongle holds the lisense, so as long as ForScore is installed on a computer all you need to do is plug in the dongle and you are ready to go. I have a dedicated lisense and a dongle so I can score on 2 computers and be able to use the Compare function. with the extra functionality of the software i can also print out score sheets with barcodes on them and we use a barcode reader to help with scoring input.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BeachBunny can be taken a step further beyond what DC describes. The program (with stored data) can be kept on a "travel" or "thumb" drive, for easy movement from computer to computer. The dongle and the travel drive are simply passed along among the users.

gunbug

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
BeachBunny can be taken a step further beyond what DC describes. The program (with stored data) can be kept on a "travel" or "thumb" drive, for easy movement from computer to computer. The dongle and the travel drive are simply passed along among the users.

No, I understand all of that. If you have Beach Bunny and like it, then by all means use it. This program was not meant to be a competitive program. It is designed more for club use, doesn't require the scorer to pass any hardware, and is free.

The ASF System does not do IDPA compliant scoring, because I chose to not have it also sort by class. It only sorts by division. It also lists the rank of the shooter overall for each stage, also a non-IDPA compliant idea. But those tidbits are useful in training and understanding what stages and therefore what skills the shooter may need to focus on.

If you have BB and like it, that's fine. If you don't and don't wanna pay for it and want higher mobility without having to chase the dongle around, then perhaps ASF Scoring System is a good alternative.

Specifically, I built it to solve a local North Alabama IDPA problem. We run 6 to 7 matches monthly, at 4 different sites, and needed more flexibility at a good price. And we wanted something that was more uniform and easier to use than a standard spreadsheet. So we built it. I then chose to share it, for free. If it works for your club, super. If not, I hope you find a good solution for your club.

The only comment you make that I don't really agree with is that BB is easy to use. That's not my experience. I find it cumbersome, just like other rdb-based programs. But, that's a matter of opinion.

Cheers,

GB

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beach Bunny does have the capability to provide overall stage ranking, by shooter order. It is not commonly utilized. BB can also provide a highly detailed version of overall stage performance, which can be used to assist the competitor in providing data for self improvement purposes.

A lot of what determines a "good" scoring program is what is easily understood by the competitors. Part of that equation is the familiarity they have with the format in which scores are reported. In a given geographic area, it will be confusing to shooters to have a number of different programs in place. The shooters will decide that some programs are "good" and some are "bad", based on their perception of how easily they can read/understand the match scores.

Your ASF program may solve the scoring issues for your area. That's great if it does. We all try to go with what solves the issues for our shooters.

gunbug

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said before, if you like BeachBunny, super! If for some reason someone thinks it's not the best alternative for their situation, then perhaps the ASF Scoring System will work.

I'm not selling, or even pushing, anything. I'm simply making another tool available to the community.

Cheers,

GB

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said before, if you like BeachBunny, super! If for some reason someone thinks it's not the best alternative for their situation, then perhaps the ASF Scoring System will work.

I'm not selling, or even pushing, anything. I'm simply making another tool available to the community. . . .

And we thank you for making us aware of the option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom