Fridge on the blink (I think.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tonight we noticed some ice cream my wife served was a bit "melty" so I checked the temperature. The fridge side is currently 48 degrees (should be 34 to 40) and the freezer side is 25 (should be 0 to 10.) So it's working, but not really. Luckily being that I'm in the food biz I had some space to offload food and caught it in time to not lose anything.

The unit is in a constantly temperature controlled home, temperature controls are set to maximum now (previously just the "recommended" setting), the coils are clean and there's no airflow blocking the inside so I assume we're dealing with low coolant but I thought the coils would be freezing up if that were the case. Maybe we're not quite to that point?

This unit was purchased by us new in 1998 so we've pretty much decided to get something new anyway but I figured I'd run the symptoms by the OSA collective brain trust to see if the thing was worth keeping as a barn fridge or something or if I should set it by the curb and call the city for pickup. (We wouldn't keep food in it but find having a place to put batteries and so forth that is temperature controlled at our rural property is a good thing.)

So what have I not thought of with the reported "still cold but not cold enough" ailment?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bryan

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure the condenser cooling fan is running.
If it is, make sure the condenser coils are not plugged with dust and lint. Clean the fan blades of any lint or dust.
These conditions are typically the issue but it could also be the timer for self defrost has failed and has the defrost cycle on 24/7.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure the condenser cooling fan is running.
If it is, make sure the condenser coils are not plugged with dust and lint. Clean the fan blades of any lint or dust.
These conditions are typically the issue but it could also be the timer for self defrost has failed and has the defrost cycle on 24/7.

Thanks for the reply. Everything is clean and the fan is running. It has been at about this same temperature for a few days at least I think and it's right about where it would go for self-defrost so that seems to make the most sense at this point. What most likely controls that timer in a circa 1998 fridge? Some sort of circuit board that could just be replaced?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may look up the make and model and do a search for defrost timer to get an idea of what it is and price. Hate to be a parts changer but you might be able to check the circuit with a multimeter if you can get access to it to see it it is closed. it should be pulling more amps if the heater is energized.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is interesting.

Figuring that the defrost timer circuit is just a little computer of some sort I decided to unplug and plug back in the fridge. (You know, the CTR+AL+DEL of all electronic things that don't have CTRL+ALT+DEL. Haha.)
Anyway, about an hour after doing so the hot tub thermometer (the only working thermometer I seem to have here at the house) was showing under the 40 degrees mark where previously it been showing over 45. This particular thermometer only goes down to 30 degrees so I can't check the freezer but tomorrow I'll grab some at the warehouse.

It's very likely that when it goes into defrost the next time it will get "stuck" again but at least this shows me that it's not a coolant leak or the compressor or a dirty coil.

Thanks for the help! (Still open to hearing it if anyone has additional comments on the above thoughts on the original post. I know from my support days that the first hypothesis to an issue isn't necessarily the correct one.)

Bryan

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may look up the make and model and do a search for defrost timer to get an idea of what it is and price. Hate to be a parts changer but you might be able to check the circuit with a multimeter if you can get access to it to see it it is closed. it should be pulling more amps if the heater is energized.

There is more info in my post right before this one, but I think I was able to get it out of defrost by unplugging and plugging back in the fridge, so at least if I can find the part to test it I will be able to force it into it's "normal" function state if it gets stuck in defrost again (which I kind of assume it will.)

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My fridge, some years ago, did the same thing. Repair guy replaced the defrost timer doohikey thing and all has been fine ever since.

It was not expensive at all, just a cheap part and a little labor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is more info in my post right before this one, but I think I was able to get it out of defrost by unplugging and plugging back in the fridge, so at least if I can find the part to test it I will be able to force it into it's "normal" function state if it gets stuck in defrost again (which I kind of assume it will.)
My son does appliance repair in the DFW area. He said one of the biggest issues he sees is folks are putting objects in front of the cold air discharge vents, blocking the air flow for some more general info.
Sounds like the defrost timer though. I’ve replaced a couple over the years. Typically located in a panel at the rear of the fridge. If the OP discovers that is the issue, I’m betting YouTube has a video on how to access the location and how to get in there without breaking something.
Good luck!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you roll it out from the wall, clean the coils on the back,(if visible) and use compressor or leaf blower to clean out around compressor. its usually hiding behind a fiberboard piece full of holes

Latest posts

Top Bottom