Fried chicken,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mashed potatoes and gravy to me is more of a general American dish and not expressly a black dish or a Southern dish. Colonel Harland Sanders had a perfect recipe for commercial fast-food sales in the 1950's and 1960's before the KFC Corporation utterly ruined it by selling customers slop to the Colonel's wraith. Was Sanders right to cash in on his famous enterprise for a paltry 2 million dollars way back in the 1960's?

]

It is very tough to get high quality fried chicken these days from any commercial food-service facility. Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen with that yummy Cajun gravy has gone way down hill too. Expensive menu prices, dirty restaurants and food that is less than supreme quality.

The best such food will come from your home skillet in your home kitchen. Your wife or grandma might even do chicken better than either you can do or the Colonel himself did in the 1950's. I sure wish I could master that Cajun gravy at home.

I would like to see a recipe for good home gravy for fried chicken posted here and especially one with a Cajun zing to it. I would also like see a homemade recipe for Cajun spicy fried chicken.

Last edited:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of fried chicken...... My local Crest Foods was selling it for $5.99 to $6.99 early this year. I was in yesterday and it is now $9.99 That's about by breaking point when I start cooking my own again.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Soak your chicken in buttermilk over night.

Season the meat and the flour before you dredge the chicken.

Let the dredged chicken rest on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before you fry it, gives the coating time to adhere to the meat.

When done frying do not place the meat on paper towels, this can cause the meat to steam on one side and the breading come off, instead place on a wire rack over a baking sheet to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Use cast iron.

Use lard for frying.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could actually buy something for 2 million dollars in the 60's. :rollingla

Haven't eaten at KFC since I was diagnosed with Celiac disease several years ago... but I used to love it. The ones that had the buffet... that was AWESOME!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of fried chicken...... My local Crest Foods was selling it for $5.99 to $6.99 early this year. I was in yesterday and it is now $9.99 That's about by breaking point when I start cooking my own again.
Couple months from now $ 12.99 then come spring $16.99.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks are too lazy to cook for themselves anymore. My granddaughter says I make the best fried chicken ever. She says her mom doesn’t even know how to cut a whole chicken into pieces. So last week she asked if I’d show her how it was done. Good to see at least 1 person in the younger generation taking an interest in the lost art of home cooking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom