Fried chicken,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks are too lazy to cook for themselves anymore. My granddaughter says I make the best fried chicken ever. She says het mom doesn’t even know how to cut a whole chicken into pieces. So last week she asked if I’d show her how it was done. Good to see at least 1 person in the younger generation taking an interest in the lost art of home cooking.
We have a 15 yo GD that has spent plenty of time in grandma's kitchen and knows a good bit. She can also twist a wrench, operate equipment and shoot. More or less an Annie Oakley of today. I know a few single fellows who do nothing but eat out, 3 meals a day plus java. Bet they shoot down $30-$50 a day where I get 3 squares of better than for less than $10.

Attachments

• 20210619_094729.jpg
    20210619_094729.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 45

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 15 yo GD that has spent plenty of time in grandma's kitchen and knows a good bit. She can also twist a wrench, operate equipment and shoot. More or less an Annie Oakley of today. I know a few single fellows who do nothing but eat out, 3 meals a day plus java. Bet they shoot down $30-$50 a day where I get 3 squares of better than for less than $10.

Good to hear. My granddaughter is only 9 and spends a lot of time at my house. She always wants to help when I’m working on something. She says she doesn’t want to be like her mom and just stare at a stupid phone all day.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to hear. My granddaughter is only 9 and spends a lot of time at my house. She always wants to help when I’m working on something. She says she doesn’t want to be like her mom and just stare at a stupid phone all day.
I had a lot of time with her, and it was " I wanna do it " so poppa let her do it. Very capable due to her upbringing. Keep up the good work poppa and you'll be extremely proud of the kid and with what you imparted on the kid. What tickles me is she always turns the wrench the right direction and I see adult men doing wrong 1st.. Yes we're proud and can brag all day.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Folks are too lazy to cook for themselves anymore. My granddaughter says I make the best fried chicken ever. She says het mom doesn’t even know how to cut a whole chicken into pieces. So last week she asked if I’d show her how it was done. Good to see at least 1 person in the younger generation taking an interest in the lost art of home cooking.
How do you make your fried chicken?

I've never tried the buttermilk method mentioned above but I think I will next time.

As far as making spicy fried chicken goes, I would add ground red pepper or cayenne pepper to my flour along with salt, black pepper, and whatever else you like or you could sprinkle it on the chicken before you coat it in the flour.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you make your fried chicken?

I've never tried the buttermilk method mentioned above but I think I will next time.

As far as making spicy fried chicken goes, I would add ground red pepper or cayenne pepper to my flour along with salt, black pepper, and whatever else you like or you could sprinkle it on the chicken before you coat it in the flour.
It’s not much different except I don’t soak it in buttermilk. it goes into the flour to get lightly dusted first, then dunked into the egg wash, from there straight into the seasoned flour mixture where it gets shaken and lightly patted. It then sits on the wire rack until all the pieces are dredged. After all that is done then it goes into a heated up frying pan. Cooked until done. My seasoning of choice is Johnnie‘s Seasoning Salt. Not too much though. Sometimes I use just salt & pepper like my great grandma did. She’s the one that taught me how to cook.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
It’s not much different except I don’t soak it in buttermilk. it goes into the flour to get lightly dusted first, then dunked into the egg wash, from there straight into the seasoned flour mixture where it gets shaken and lightly patted. It then sits on the wire rack until all the pieces are dredged. After all that is done then it goes into a heated up frying pan. Cooked until done. My seasoning of choice is Johnnie‘s Seasoning Salt. Not too much though. Sometimes I use just salt & pepper like my great grandma did. She’s the one that taught me how to cook.
Thanks. That's about the same way I make it too.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I go once a week to Diane's in Stroud to eat her buffet. Fried chicken, ribs, catfish on Friday with masked potatoes,fried okra, green beans. Also includes a salad bar but I just get pickled beets off of it. White rolls,wheat rolls, and hush puppies. All you can eat.
This place?

https://www.ds-catering.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom