FrogLube Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your preferred Gun Lube?

• FrogLube

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Hoppe's #9

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • M-Pro 7

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Ballistol

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Breakfree CLP

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Froglube will turn to glue over time. Well not really glue, but you'll think that's what they put in it. It's vegetable based and oxidizes over time because the vegan, non-toxic all natural politically correct "wonder oils" aren't stable over long periods of time. Fireclean does the same thing as it's vegetable based too. If you are constantly cleaning and relubing your guns it works just decent and has some good qualities like not attracting dust (if you use the paste). It is very good against corrosion but that's about the only thing it's good at.

I use a fully synthetic engine oil for lube on most guns but I'll use Ballistol for wood stocked guns like mil-surps and nice shotguns. For cleaning it's Hoppes #9. It's a solvent, not a lube and you don't want to leave it on or even use it on a nickel plated gun at all.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried FL on pistols and AR's. It does its work and lubes up when heated, but I just don't like the thought of having a dry AR. Granted you can run a bone dry AR into the hundreds of rounds, but Murphy hates cops. It works okay and smells better.

For my AR's I run Mobil 1. For my Glocks, I run Slip or Hoppes. I've ran cheap lube with no problems on Glocks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used Mobile 1 full synthetic for years, used #9 and some CLP for cleaning, but recently began trying Ballistol. Got a couple cans now, been spraying things down a bit. Smells awful, but oh well. Seems to be ok. I don't think I need to go with anything fancier or more complicated.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Negative on the Frog Lube; I've read too many negatives on it to mess with it. I use Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP mostly to clean and lube, because that's what we used in the Marine Corps. (Thousands of Gunnys can't be wrong). Clean the bore and ramp with Hoppes, run a few dry patches through; wet patch with Breakfree CLP, and a little more black crud come out on the patch. Couple runs through with clean dry patches and done. Kinda like why I like Tabasco; it was issued, therefore, it must be good. Honestly, I don't think it really matters; I think what matters most is that you use something to clean and lube. I have tried Mobil 1 as a lube as well; it seems fine. My fairly educated guess is I could probably use pretty much any of the above and it would be fine. I just gotta get a new needle point oiler, the plastic condiment dispenser full of Mobil 1 I have now has too big of an opening and I tend to over lube with it.

(Caution: I had a bad experience with some kinda spray Gunscrubber stuff on a Colt 1911, it ate away at the finish on both the grip safety and thumb safety. Wish I could remember what brand it was; I think the kids gave it to me for Christmas but I can't find the darn thing now).

Latest posts

Top Bottom