FrogLube Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your preferred Gun Lube?

• FrogLube

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Hoppe's #9

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • M-Pro 7

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Ballistol

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Breakfree CLP

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I normally use Ballistol and water for
cleaning BP guns, followed with straight Ballistol. I recently tried the Amsoil Cleaner and lube and am impressed with it for them newfangled smokeyless guns.
I lubed the cylinder pins on my SAAs with the Amsoil Lube and shot 25 rounds of .45Colt BP rounds through each and the cylinders were still freewheeling after the match.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used Froglube on my glocks and AR's for a while and do not care for it at all for a gun lube. I still use it on my suppressors and barrel threads. It works great for that. What I use isnt a choice on the poll.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot in the cold and the Frog lube will not allow any of that in a couple semi auto 22's I have.
CLP I use and it is good.
Mpro 7 gets like frog lube in the cold.. yes I followed directions on all of it.

Hate to say but WD40 fixed the issues many times in the cold.

I will not use engine oil. It has stuff in the additive package that will cause rust over time.
That is over time.. if you shoot and clean and oil regularly you may never see the issues.
Humid and wet environments accelerate it.

Read this all of it. It is a great read.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

After this guy did his test i did one with clean steel plate and the lubes and oils I had on hand.
You owe it to yourself to do your own testing.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will not use engine oil. It has stuff in the additive package that will cause rust over time.
That is over time.. if you shoot and clean and oil regularly you may never see the issues.
Humid and wet environments accelerate it.

You have it exactly backwards unless you are talking about using USED engine oil. Combustion byproducts form acids when combined with moisture. Engine oils have additives to fight this very thing. If you want a corrosion package Amsoil has a diesel oil (great for guns) that was formulated for marine diesels. They let an engine sit docked without running for a year. That's hell on an engine in a saltwater environment. Guess what? They found no rust at the end of the test when they tore it down for inspection. All engine oils have these additives just in lesser quantities than marine specific oils. Engine oils are outstanding for corrosion protection as long as you can keep a film on the metal, that's the hard part, keeping a light film on without it running off over time.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lucas gun oil.jpg

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lubriplate 130AA for lubrication of stuff that slides.
Ed's Red for lubrication of stuff that turns and general cleaning.
Ed's Red (+Acetone) for serious cleaning.
Ed's Red (+Lanolin) for final cleaning and storage.

Hoppe's #9 and Outers Choke Tube and Gun Grease as backups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom