FrogLube Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your preferred Gun Lube?

• FrogLube

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Hoppe's #9

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • M-Pro 7

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Ballistol

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Breakfree CLP

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one's ever mentioned 3 in 1 oil. When I was a kid, I used to clean and oil all my guns. Not sure I've even seen the stuff in years.
Might try to find a can and see how it works.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one's ever mentioned 3 in 1 oil. When I was a kid, I used to clean and oil all my guns. Not sure I've even seen the stuff in years.
Might try to find a can and see how it works.
Its still out there. I have a can of it I keep in the house for general lube. It does have a distinct smell.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used Froglube and it liked it ok but still prefer using break free CLP and shooter's choice grease when needed. I've never had to worry about a gun lubed with CLP not working. Still have hoppe's on my shelf that gets a little use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did my rust test using new engine oil not used stuff.
You guys should read this or at least scroll to the bottom to see the winner.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

I have done the testing of oils and Lubes myself and found Mobil 1 sucks as a rust preventative.
I will be more than happy to do another test as this was after 2007 when they were pulling ZDDP levels lower and changing the additive package.
I used Mobil 1 in all my stuff before that. I have used it since the mid 1980's.

Changed oil in the rider after the change to lower ZDDP and got a bearing squeal and decided Mobil has not got the formula correct and quit using it.
Went to Rotella T6 and no issues and got 2 MPG more in the corolla using T6.
Friend noticed more MPG in 2 vehicles a Honda and a chevy truck switching from Mobil synthetic to Rotella T6

Same friend lost a cam in his 66 vette .. with less than 1500 miles on the rebuild using Mobil 1 synthetic around the same time.
Another friend lost the cam in his nova using a low ZDDP engine oil.
I lost 2 cams back to back during break in with an oil I used for break in just after the ZDDP change.. Additive packages make a huge difference in oils.

I use Joe Gibbs now for break-in but before 2007 it did not matter what I used I never had a cam lifter failure.

Some of the stuff in that additive package create rust.
2 stroke Quicksilver was excellent during my test. I tested like the link above on bare steel plate.
Use what you like best and keep it wiped down it will not really matter much unless you stay in the wet for weeks and never wipe it down. As far as rust is concerned. Now friction is completely different and the above link tests friction.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I did my rust test using new engine oil not used stuff.
You guys should read this or at least scroll to the bottom to see the winner.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

I have done the testing of oils and Lubes myself and found Mobil 1 sucks as a rust preventative.
I will be more than happy to do another test as this was after 2007 when they were pulling ZDDP levels lower and changing the additive package.
I used Mobil 1 in all my stuff before that. I have used it since the mid 1980's.

Changed oil in the rider after the change to lower ZDDP and got a bearing squeal and decided Mobil has not got the formula correct and quit using it.
Went to Rotella T6 and no issues and got 2 MPG more in the corolla using T6.
Friend noticed more MPG in 2 vehicles a Honda and a chevy truck switching from Mobil synthetic to Rotella T6

Same friend lost a cam in his 66 vette .. with less than 1500 miles on the rebuild using Mobil 1 synthetic around the same time.
Another friend lost the cam in his nova using a low ZDDP engine oil.
I lost 2 cams back to back during break in with an oil I used for break in just after the ZDDP change.. Additive packages make a huge difference in oils.

I use Joe Gibbs now for break-in but before 2007 it did not matter what I used I never had a cam lifter failure.

Some of the stuff in that additive package create rust.
2 stroke Quicksilver was excellent during my test. I tested like the link above on bare steel plate.
Use what you like best and keep it wiped down it will not really matter much unless you stay in the wet for weeks and never wipe it down. As far as rust is concerned. Now friction is completely different and the above link tests friction.
Short cliff notes from your link? Hornady One Shot Lube and Cleaner is the top choice?

Latest posts

Top Bottom