Ft Sill Privately Owned Weapons Range - Open Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is some additional info about the Ft Sill Privately Owned Weapon range:

- It is reopened and functioning now (ops checked this weekend)
- There is a manned tower with an RSO calling the ranges hot/cold when there is more than one shooter present
- This week (IIRC) all POW range personnel who are not already NRA RSOs will be receiving NRA RSO training
- Currently must be a military ID card holder or be sponsored (and accompanied) by an ID card holder

- The following was provided by AKJ20
Location - 6218 Adams Hill Road (training side - put it in Google).
Operating Hours/Days - Th/Fri : 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.; Sat/Sun : 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Sunday hours are new - previously closed on Sun)
Fees: $10 all day ; 1-year membership is $100 and makes the daily usage fee $7 for all day (That means you won't break even until the 34th visit - BAD DEAL)
BYO ammo.

- .308 rifles and below are allowed; No special loads. No fully automatic. No tracers.
- The range will have 12 rifle lanes: 1 - 250 meter range / all others 25-150 meters
- There will be 16 pistol lanes - all with a max of 25 meters.
- The skeet and trap is not ready yet (my edit - but is under construction with funds appropriated for equipment purchase)
- 18 and older can shoot. Children younger than 18 must have a liability form signed by a parent and be under the supervision of an adult.

Now here are my opinions/observations - the lady managing the range seems like a sincere young lady and she has a plan for improvements/upgrades.
I gave my opinion on:
- the fee structure (thumbs down)
- their outreach/publicity so far (thumbs down)
- their lack of steel gong range (used to be there - now gone)

She is now considering:
- A Town Hall meeting for Ft Sill sportsmen to discuss ongoing activities/upcoming plans for improvement/better fee structure (including tiered memberships or family memberships)
- She says that the "gong" range for pistols will be coming back soon
- Skeet/Trap range is coming with funds already allocated and some construction begun (one tower is visible)

Finally, the Ft Sill multi-gun competition mentioned previously on OSA is NOT being sponsored or run by the Ft Sill POW range folks, some other organization is doing that.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the range being open on Sunday, but it should be open on Wednesday. Also, not opening until 4 is a poor choice.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember the POW Range, like ALL FMWR activities is primarily run for the benefit of active duty members and their dependents. It is not built around the more flexible schedules of retirees (though listening to retirees, and I am one, you'd think it was all built at our behest and owned by us). Thus must weekday early activities fall during school/work hours and would not be primarily serving active duty members.

Now ask me why the Golf Course doesn't seem worried about that rule......

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember the POW Range, like ALL FMWR activities is primarily run for the benefit of active duty members and their dependents. It is not built around the more flexible schedules of retirees (though listening to retirees, and I am one, you'd think it was all built at our behest and owned by us). Thus must weekday early activities fall during school/work hours and would not be primarily serving active duty members.

No, that depends on the post. Most posts I have ever been too, the POW range is run by Range Control. If someone was on the range, the had a RSO out there. Sun up to sun down. Ft Sill is a whole nother nanimal I'll admit. I have never seen a post more backwards than Ft SIll. Only post where the Post caters to the civilians, and not the other way around.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score

if you are paying for a membership and it is a club, shouldn't the range be primarily ran for its members?

Latest posts

Top Bottom