Full auto question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting into a full auto and would like to know which way is the cheapest and/or best way to go. I heard it will be around $10,000 because of the stamp. Is a drop in the best way so I could use it on different lowers or just buy a full auto lower. Not sure where to start. Thanks

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting into a full auto and would like to know which way is the cheapest and/or best way to go. I heard it will be around $10,000 because of the stamp. Is a drop in the best way so I could use it on different lowers or just buy a full auto lower. Not sure where to start. Thanks

If you want an M16, then yes, you are looking at $10,000+ for a regsitered receiver or a RDIAS or you could get a lightning link for around $7,000-$8,000. If you just want any type of full auto, you could get into a M10/M11 subgun for around $3,000-$3,500.

If you go with a RDIAS, you can switch it between lowers, but the fire control group parts have to move as well which gets to be a PITA.

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the 5.56/223 cal.
That being said, I am thinking that the RDIAS is the way for me because I have several AR15's and a few SBR in 5.56 and 9mm. I would like to be able to shoot any of them full auto if I want. Why would the RDIAS be a PITA?
Thanks

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That being said, I am thinking that the RDIAS is the way for me because I have several AR15's and a few SBR in 5.56 and 9mm. I would like to be able to shoot any of them full auto if I want. Why would the RDIAS be a PITA?
Thanks

The RDIAS is not a PITA, it is having to move the M16 fire control group parts (hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector) when you move the RDIAS. You cannot have all of your lowers set up with M16 fire control group parts, you have to swap them as well. 1 RDIAS allows you to have 1 set of full-auto fire control group parts (see ATF letter on the subject http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter52.txt). That is the PITA that I was speaking of.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, can you tell me, does the RDIAS work well (reliable) or is there a problem with durability. Thanks

They are just as reliable as a registered receiver and easily fixed if they ever break (which is unlikely). They often have to be timed to a particular upper and will only fit in a low shelf lower, so these are things to consider. Here is a link to some good info on RDIAS's including how to time them http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An FNC is another option in the 7500 range and a Ruger ac556 for around 6500 and both meet your 223 requirement. Not a M16 but the price is a better and they are still pretty sweet

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks

Used to be that folks would tell you that the RR (registered receiver) was the best way to go. Now it really depends.

I just got a RR M16 and really like it. Finally got to shoot it over Easter weekend.

I also have a RDIAS. I’ve had this one for a while. Even though I have various uppers and setups for it, I mainly keep it set in 9mm. It is my go to gun when I am thinking about any range time. Here is a vid of a 100 round dump.
View My Video
The audio and video aren’t synced properly and I can’t figure out why. The guy saying “go” in the vid, is none other than your other responder to this question!!!

The advantage of the RDIAS is that you can move it from gun to gun and you can use it to make new guns fully automatic instead of having to use a receiver that is at least 24 years old.

Systems like the MGI platform with interchangeable mag wells that accept the RDIAS make different caliber shooting easy.

There is alot of controversy as to whether you can only have one reciever set up for full auto with the RDIAS. It is certainly a risk to have multiples with FA fire control groups, but systems like the .45, 9mm and 22 aren't normally a problem. Most of the Colt 9mm rifles are made with FA bolt carriers now because it has been shown you need more than the bolt carrier and fire control group to make it go FA.

You still walk a very fine line for constructive possession. With the MGI system, you don’t have to worry as much because caliber changes are much simpler than the Colt style lowers.

You have to be careful what kind of lower you get for use with a RDIAS. Not all lowers will accept them.

The RLL (registered Lightning Link) is another option. Used to be that this was a simple “drop in” conversion. But you have to have the correct bolt carrier for it to run well. And now, they do make selectfire kits for the RLL, whereas in the past it was either safe or full auto, no semi auto fire.

10K might get you a RR if you watch the boards and/or make an offer. Always remember, you can make an offer on what someone has for sale. The worst they can say is “NO”. When you are talking about a 10 grand gun, you are walking in rarified air. There aren’t a lot of folks (especially in today’s economy) that are walking along side you.

Also, make sure to do a little research on the maker/converter if you get a RR. They are not all created equal. I just got one that was converted by John Norrell. I paid a bit extra for it because of the brand receiver and the guy that did the conversion.

In the mean time, start buying ammo. You will need it. Lots of it. Lots and lots of it. All calibers. And mags. Lotsa mags.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom