Full Size Carry? Safety or no safety?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please carry with the chamber loaded. Get training and solid equipment, which will prevent the gun going bang until you want it to. How will you rack the slide if either arm is injured? If you're fighting with your support side arm? There are several ways to do this, but none as fast and efficient as carrying with a loaded chamber.

In before 'that's how the Israelis do it'. The IDF started training that way when they were carrying a myriad of handguns, and it was the safest way to teach the lowest common denominator to handle all of them. There is really no benefit to civilian CCWers

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was cautious when I first stated wanting to carry. When I was waiting on my license I carried my Glock around the house in the holster unloaded, but with the gun racked. After wearing it a few days like that, I figured the trigger never pulled, so I was good to go.

this...and did it with the M&p

Look at the trigger on the M&P...UNLOADED...try to make the trigger engage from the side, from the tip,then Feel....UNLOADED....where the break is on the trigger.
It takes quite a bit to get the break...Know where that break is.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a full size 1911 when it cools off and I wear more layers.

I only carry 1911 based pistols and always condition 1. They are the most natural feeling for me and are very comfortable to carry with a proper rig. As far as those for or against manual safeties, I think learning a manual of arms, training with it heavily, and staying consistent is more important than whichever your preference may be.

Just my opinion though.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a full size 1911 when it cools off and I wear more layers.

I only carry 1911 based pistols and always condition 1. They are the most natural feeling for me and are very comfortable to carry with a proper rig. As far as those for or against manual safeties, I think learning a manual of arms, training with it heavily, and staying consistent is more important than whichever your preference may be.

Just my opinion though.

I totally agree. My primary reasoning for using a 1911 or the Sig P238 for everyday carry is that I can be in condition 1 with a safety backup. To fire, push the safety down with my thumb while drawing and fire as soon as I am on target, one handed if necessary. Other brands/types have UP to fire or other methods I can not get used to for rapid operation. I guess if I had to totally reprogram myself I could, but I see no need. Plunking with another brands/types of firearms, yes take time to fiddle with it, EDC, not for me.

Just my opinion also. Bottom line, practice with what you carry and make it work well for you.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG (in post #7) said everything I was inclined to say on this subject. If the only way you're comfortable carrying a loaded gun is to have an external manual safety, then cool, that's what the free market is for. Personally I avoid them; I like Glocks, revolvers -- "Condition Two" guns. Simple, simple. All my CCWed guns have that same manual of arms.

But if a gun does have a manual safety, then I want it to be like a 1911 lever: big, prominent, easily manipulated, clear and positive in operation.

I hate the tiny manual safeties on many S&W and Ruger CCW guns. They are too small and hard to manipulate. I'd worry that I would draw only to find the little safety Chiclet was inadvertently engaged and I've got a dead gun. Those safeties are unfortunate half-measures; the worst of both worlds IMO.