Full Size Carry? Safety or no safety?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a springfield XDS iwb with one in the chamber at all times. The only time there isn't a round in the chamber is when I am home or otherwise safe. It can take an extra second or two (at best) to put a round in the chamber in addition to the time spend drawing the weapon and bringing it to bear on the target. And I am sure that we all understand the 15 foot concept/rule. And who can say that without a doubt their carry will load a round every time, esp under stress? My XDS doesn't like the feed hornady critical duty polymer filled hollow points manually, only with extra care or due to the cycling of the slide from firing. And that is with over a thousand rounds firing without fail. The above is also assuming that you have trained to where you rack a round 100% of the time without fail, regardless of whether you are being threatened, charged, or even in the process of being beat with a bat or stabbed on the ground? I have seen trained professionals (my fellow Marines) in Afghanistan pulling the trigger repeatedly while literally crapping their pants in an ambush; only to not fire a shot because they did not have a round in the chamber. After thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds fired in preparation for that very moment.

However unlikely the situation, you have to consider it. That is the entire premise for carrying a firearm, as most of us will hopefully never need to use our weapons in self defense.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the best way is to carry with a bullet in the chamber and no manual safety.

Like he said, a lot of striker fired pistols are carried with a round in the chamber.

When a person complicates this simple routine by 1) having to rack the slide and/or 2) take the gun off of safety before firing in a stressful situation, then they might not get the life saving shot off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom