Furbearer season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know absolutely diddly squat about trapping or hunting furbearers so bare with me.

Do the hides / pelts actually bring in enough $$$ to where it's actually worth the time and effort to skin and tan the hides or is it more for the sport ?.....I seem to recall years ago that there was a bounty paid for coyotes, is it still that way ?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know absolutely diddly squat about trapping or hunting furbearers so bare with me.

Do the hides / pelts actually bring in enough $$$ to where it's actually worth the time and effort to skin and tan the hides or is it more for the sport ?.....I seem to recall years ago that there was a bounty paid for coyotes, is it still that way ?

No worst fur market ever unfortunately. It's all about the tradition and out smarting them. Coons worth nothing, bobcats worth more to sell to a taxidermist than a fur buyer, coyotes are the only thing worth selling to a fur buyer along with badgers. If you have a very long route you'll eat your profits quickly with supplies and fuel costs. It is a hoot though, I'd still encourage you to give it a try though for the experience and almost all fur animals trapped are nest robbers and are hard on turkey, quail and pheasant hatch success.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Coons are the cheapest, easiest to get started with. A few cuffs and a bag of corn with a few drops of vanilla extract in the cuff. Coons are everywhere so you’ll have immediate success. Let the hobby/sport grow from there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just working on thinning the population around the deer feeder.
I had one small area cleaned out of coons for about two weeks, then a pair showed up on trail cams, so reset the traps and have one of them gone. I’ll check them again today.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always used the big marshmallows in those DP coon traps with great success.
Just put a marshmallow under the trigger & one at the top. The coons will eat the one on the top & reach for the next one but will never get it out.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime I see a bobcat it's before fur bearers season. I guess I need to get the predator call out.

Don't you still have to call the game warden for bobcat tags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime I see a bobcat it's before fur bearers season. I guess I need to get the predator call out.

Don't you still have to call the game warden for bobcat tags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Call the game warden or find a tagging location. The biologist station out at Arcadia always has bobcat tags.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sure didn’t want to see this in the DP today.
Maybe he was tired but I walked slowly up to him on the upwind side and popped him in the head. It never sprayed.

1fd9da021ca8de925c9d1680a1983081.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom