Furbearer season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was sent this picture from a customer, showing a bobcat that he killed with one of my custom rifles.

BobCat.01-1.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle is a CVA APEX. It "was" a 308 Winchester in factory form, but I cut it back to an overall length of 3 1/2" and used it as a barrel stub, meaning that I took this short section of barrel and internally bored it, reamed it and threaded it. I then took a #5 Shilen Select Match grade stainless steel barrel blank, chambered and threaded it, and screwed it into the barrel stub till it butted up tight against the breech face. I then cut the extractor slot, cut the barrel to length and crowned it. Lastly, I drilled and tapped the barrel to accept the forend and then bead blasted the barrel.

This gun is chambered in 357 Maximum.

According to my customer, this bobcat was the first one he had ever seen out in the wild, and it was shot at 158 yards with a Speer 180 gr. Hot-Cor bullet.

The same gun and load accounted for 2 deer last year.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She is bearing fur! In a manner of speaking.

I just got this in from another customer, shot with another one of my custom 357 Maximums.

1023171203.jpg

These 3 deer were also just shot by another customer in Ohio, with an H&R Ultra Slug gun in 20 ga. that he sent me to "fully accurize", just before the start of this year's gun season. The closest shot was 60 yards, and the furthest shot was 2 steps over 200 yards. Slugs used were Remington 3" Accu Tips.

image2.jpeg.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s cool, but I bet it wasn’t cheap. It sounds like alot of money to put into that kind of rifle.:anyone:

Less than a grand, and since being built, that gun has accounted for no less than 60 deer between Texas, Oklahoma and Indiana.

Several stated do not allow deer hunting with calibers like a 243, 308, 7 Mag., etc.. They can only use rifles chambered in straight walled cartridges, with some even having case length restrictions. That is why the 357 Maximum is so popular, and with proper loads, shooting and killing deer out to an honest 300 yards is not that difficult.

Latest posts

Top Bottom