Furniture Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, first world problem.

FIL has a nasty recliner. It has broken and he has fallen out of it. I firmly stated NO MORE. Today you will either take my recliner OR we will buy a new one. Zero choice. None! Choose now. My Wife said yours is shedding, I do NOT want it at my Mother’s house! (FIL just had to have this chair, salesperson told him not to buy it, we told him, he was smarter than anyone else. It was bonded leather, started pealing in a month. No warranty on the leather, zero, he was told up front.)

Wife and Mother went one way, I went another. Found four chairs which I thought would work, one for a very good price. MIL found two matching chairs she likes and bought them. Good. Done.

Wife calls back. She wants your chair gone. I really liked the one so ok, will just go back and buy it. Made my deal and went around to their dock. Guy brings it out on an appliance dolly, no padding. Flags go up for me. Got it right here, let me wrap it and we will load it up. I go around back of chair. Yep, scarred the leather with two lines AND put a hole it the back. Oh I’m sorry, let me just get some dye and paint it. You will never be able to see it. I went up front, give me my money back.

salesman, who had just told me that was the only one said wait, I have another one I saw the other day. I say fine, lets go look at it. Start walking, he says wait here you cannot go into the warehouse (where I just was). I state firmly give me my money back. Not happy. Took 30 minutes. Still a bit livid. Wasted 90 minutes of my life plus the rant time.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel ya. In my job I deal with a lot -- a LOT -- of elderly people. I (and all my co-workers, too) will offer to help them out if it is clear they need it. A pregnant lady with 3 toddlers started crying when John asked her if she needed help to her car. He thought he'd offended her. Nope -- she said he was the first person in WEEKS to even act like they noticed she was struggling.

Sometimes I like to think I'm some kind of hardass ***** but I hope we, as a society, at some point backs up a little and remember that no one has a perfect life and we ALL need a little help every now and again.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the typical business practices of today... It's a sad state of affairs.

When someone simply DOES THEIR JOB these days I'm so happy. It seems most people just don't care about anything.
THIS^^^^^^

I cannot tell you how many hours and how much money and how many jobs have cratered because I was waiting on others to do their job.

I usually had to do their job over to do my job.

What is the first thing you do when you get the sack at the fast food drive through?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes a little voice inside a person says, "go help that man or woman over there, they are having a hard time." When you do, it makes your heart a little warmer. So what if no one helps you, you are able-bodied and healthy, maybe they aren't. Either way you feel good regardless of whether the other party is healthy or just having a hard time at home. We'll never know.
And I don't like Mathis Bros either!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK Blood Institute was recently running a promotion - come in and donate blood and you'll be entered for "a $1,000 shopping spree" at a certain furniture store.
[I won't name the store but it claims to be run by siblings, and I don't mean Jude and Jody.]
I got a laugh out of the idea.
They want a bag full of your blood and in return you get a chance to win the prize of having blood sucked out of you down at the furniture store.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm pissed at the teens that hold the door open for me when going into a store and calling me sir.
No damned stars or bars on my shoulder, I'm not a sir! (unless your a marine) I was an enlisted man and I don't need you holding the damned door for me!

Actually, I really do hate it, but some of those kids have sure got some great parenting and have manners. Grumpy old man rant. :laugh6:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm pissed at the teens that hold the door open for me when going into a store and calling me sir.
No damned stars or bars on my shoulder, I'm not a sir! (unless your a marine) I was an enlisted man and I don't need you holding the damned door for me!

Actually, I really do hate it, but some of those kids have sure got some great parenting and have manners. Grumpy old man rant. :laugh6:
I usually just tell them, "If you knew most of my friends, you'd understand why I get real nervous when people are too polite to me."

That usually means they are up to something.... :rollingla

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife's Grandmother bought a chase rocker recliner from Bob Mills furniture when my first son was born.
So my wife cold rock the baby in a nice chair.
I think it was $277 or darn close.
That boy today is 31 years old and the chair is still working and not too bad of shape either.
We have actually rocked our grandson asleep in that chair.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mom had a real leather recliner that lasted for years. Every time the mechanism broke ,she would call the store where she bought and they would pick it up and fix it free. Did this 5 times, I told her to buy a new one. They wrote the date on the bottom frame each time. I think it was a Century recliner. She loved that chair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom