FYI- Traffic Stops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the word "paranoid" coming from people that believe in carry firearms 24/7. Carrying a firearm is somehow prudent, yet protecting yourself in police interactions are not. Seems everyone will defend their 2nd Amendment rights...the other not so much. My LEO relatives are the ones that advised video taping AND if the police try to violate your civil rights having a supervisor on scene. The 1st and 4th Amendment are just as important as our 2nd Amendment. Like I said before if you don't want to watch YouTube videos, watch Live PD. Constant 4th Amendment violations on there.

Sent from my SM-J737U using Tapatalk

First off, most of us probably don't worry too much about police interactions because *gasp* we don't do things that invite those interactions. Second, the few times we DO have those interactions, we are polite and cooperative and generally walk/drive away with a warning. I've been stopped a whopping 6 times in 27 years of having a license. So far I've gotten one speeding ticket, one non-moving violation (forgot to get my tag updated), one warning (burned out license plate lamp), one information (stopped for tag out of date, found out I forgot to put the sticker on) and my wife got a $20 ticket for passenger without a seatbelt on. Only one stop did I have to deal with an ass, and that was when a Moore cop tried to confiscate my cb radio for being too powerful when it bled over on his speakers. That one time I told him no he is not since he was not the FCC, did not have an SWR/Power meter to verify (I did, and offered to prove it was at 5 watts deadkey), and that it bleeding over on his speakers was not justifiable for confiscation as its known to happen on thin shielded lines like speaker and telephone wire.

However, this bs that you MUST do all those things on EVERY stop, no. Videotaping is one thing, shoving the phone/camera between you and cop is being confrontational. If you feel you need to videotape, turn on your phone and stick it somewhere on the dash so it can record and leave it there or turn your dash cam around. Being confrontational from the get go does nothing to help you and could hinder you more than likely.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love how you interpret my video taping by sticking my camera in between me and the cop's face. Stcking up for your rights is always going to be confrontational. FYI I use my dash cam. I never said I had a bad interaction with any cop in any of my posts. I have video taped every one that I have had. Covering your ass is always prudent regardless of the situation. Google "Kelsey Pierce" if you want to see an instance where video taping would have been prudent on her part. Thank God for the police body cam on that one. The cop accused her of using her driver's license as a weapon and even wrote that lie in his report. This happened in OKC.

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A police officer is trained to gather facts and information. That's part of the job. So asking you questions about where you're going or where you've been is just part of the fact gathering process. Further it is not a violation of your right for the officer to ask those questions. Don't know where you got the idea that he can't ask you that stuff. He could ask you what you had for breakfast that day if he wanted and he wouldn't be violating your rights. Just like your right to not answer isn't a violation of his rights.

Geez, since you have such an impressive knowledge of the law stop by your local police department and apply for the job. Then you can show them all the right way to be a cop!

A police officer is trained to gather facts and information. That's part of the job. So asking you questions about where you're going or where you've been is just part of the fact gathering process. Further it is not a violation of your right for the officer to ask those questions. Don't know where you got the idea that he can't ask you that stuff. He could ask you what you had for breakfast that day if he wanted and he wouldn't be violating your rights. Just like your right to not answer isn't a violation of his rights.

Geez, since you have such an impressive knowledge of the law stop by your local police department and apply for the job. Then you can show them all the right way to be a cop!
It is a violation of some one rights to force them to answer questions or comply with a unlawful commands. Like I said you can ask and I will shut you down period!

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Police ask question for a reason. It's an attempt to trip you up or come up with a reason to further keep you at a stop. One episode of Live PD the cop pulled over a young lady who had done a U-turn in front of the cop. The girl was nervous. The cop kept asking question after question until he hit the "gotcha" question where the young lady contradicted herself. That's all it took. One drug dog, 4 cops later they had her out of the car, crying, and cuffed. Of course the reason for the dog was because she was nervous so she had to be hiding something. They did a complete search for drugs. No drugs, no ticket but a scary experience for the young lady.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people are concerned about their "rights" and being violated in some respect. Let me tell you kind folks that we as Americans have fewer rights than we did a decade ago, the illegals have far more rights and are receiving more benefits that our own people that are in need. If my daughter were kidnapped, I would want the cops pulling people over to do a whole lot of "fishing." They are simply people like us (Some of us are bad as some of the cops) but the vast majority of both are basically good folks who are doing their jobs and want to go home at the end of the day. Some people get their feelings hurt if they see a cop car in their rear view mirror and want to complain that they are being followed or profiled...and then the cop signals and turns off onto another street.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Police ask question for a reason. It's an attempt to trip you up or come up with a reason to further keep you at a stop. One episode of Live PD the cop pulled over a young lady who had done a U-turn in front of the cop. The girl was nervous. The cop kept asking question after question until he hit the "gotcha" question where the young lady contradicted herself. That's all it took. One drug dog, 4 cops later they had her out of the car, crying, and cuffed. Of course the reason for the dog was because she was nervous so she had to be hiding something. They did a complete search for drugs. No drugs, no ticket but a scary experience for the young lady.

Was the U turn illegal?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simple solution, dont do anything while driving to get pulled over and you wont have anything to worry about.
Yeah, that doesn't work, either. I've been pulled over more than once for no real reason; I'm pretty sure one was simply because a training officer thought I'd be a safe training stop.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't work, either. I've been pulled over more than once for no real reason; I'm pretty sure one was simply because a training officer thought I'd be a safe training stop.
Stopped because you were too white on training day. Where's your parade?
Where was the media? They didn't put that on youtube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom