FYI- Traffic Stops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal or not, the intent was to show how "innocent" police questioning works. It's an attempt to trip you up to give them the reason for a search. You honestly think LEO's want to know where you are going or where you have come from? Sorry....but I quit playing 21 questions when I was a kid.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Any time I have been stopped by a LEO, I guess I have surrendered all my so-called rights by answering his or her questions. Usually, such a stop has ended with a polite discussion, and a comment like "slow down," "please take care of that tail light as soon as possible," "be careful," or " how do you like that (insert name of pistol here) or whatever. Once or twice, the LEO has written me a ticket, which I deserved. Actually, many times, the Retired Military ID card clearly visible next to my OK DL has probably saved me as much money in these LEO/Traffic situations as it has in the PX! I guess if I get pulled over, and the officer is professional, and politely asks me questions, I'll just use my reasonably good judgment and politely answer them so we can both go on about our respective business. Now, if things get squirrelly, well, once again I'll use that same reasonably good judgment and go from there.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Any time I have been stopped by a LEO, I guess I have surrendered all my so-called rights by answering his or her questions. Usually, such a stop has ended with a polite discussion, and a comment like "slow down," "please take care of that tail light as soon as possible," "be careful," or " how do you like that (insert name of pistol here) or whatever. Once or twice, the LEO has written me a ticket, which I deserved. Actually, many times, the Retired Military ID card clearly visible next to my OK DL has probably saved me as much money in these LEO/Traffic situations as it has in the PX! I guess if I get pulled over, and the officer is professional, and politely asks me questions, I'll just use my reasonably good judgment and politely answer them so we can both go on about our respective business. Now, if things get squirrelly, well, once again I'll use that same reasonably good judgment and go from there.

I don't speed much since the national speed limit went away.

mbok1947

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just really amazed at the negativity toward law enforcement evident from some here. In my youth I spent many hours riding in those black and white cars and was involved in countless traffic stops. I keep in close contact with many retired police officers today and I can tell you that the huge majority are avid Second Amendment supporters. They, and my personal experience, long ago taught me that the best way to handle any encounter between a citizen and law enforcement is with simple courtesy and common sense. Of course police officers have a right and duty to ask for ID; that's why we have sensible laws requiring a valid drivers license and insurance. (Next time you get totaled by an uninsured driver you will rethink any opposition to those laws.)

Videoing or otherwise showing hostility on a stop is almost sure to wind up with a ticket. Cops are human and they resent being told by implication that they are somehow suspicious or to be treated with hostility. Also, and I have had a number of officers tell me this, the best way to make any stop end happily is to hand over that CCW permit most of those posting here have; it says this is a citizen who has undergone an extensive background check and some training, and who might just bounce out of a car some dark night and save your ass from an attacker.

Just about every one of the many hundreds of law enforcement officers I have known think responsible armed citizens are good for society. They exchange courtesy for courtesy (and hostility for the same) like any other human being. And if you think checking often for drugs or other contraband is a bad thing, then you must have missed the drug epidemic that is actually lowering our average life span and fueling the huge number of property and violent crimes we see in every day's news.

Latest posts

Top Bottom