Gah, No More Toys for a While. Or I Just Spent the Morning at the Dealership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter and I have been sharing a car since she got her license a while back and that was getting to be a pain. I was looking for an upper to upper mid range Elantra, but had to settle for a mid range due to stock just not being there. They call the color "Electric Shadow", but it just looks grey to me. Anyways it has most of what I wanted on it, just no electric seat adjust with extra lumbar support. It's bad when Hyundai dealers are doing a $3,000 markup on Elantras.

PXL_20220212_203757306.jpg

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought tires at $1600. Spending revoked until next year unless there’s an emergency. Wife almost made me sell a gun (“toy” car so to her tires weren’t required).

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch!

Ram is paid off, tires have just 25k on them, OKC Gun Club is only 14 miles away and I am now working from home 5 days a week. Knock on wood, but I'm glad this auto shortage stuff hasn't affected me much.
I was going to wait until summer, but if all the conflicts kick off that look like they might, the supply situation will get even worse. Figured it was time.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been buying Hyundai's now for a while & my wife and one of my daughters drive them, the other a Toyota. I think for the money you can't buy a better car than a Hyundai

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've been buying Hyundai's now for a while & my wife and one of my daughters drive them, the other a Toyota. I think for the money you can't buy a better car than a Hyundai
It is replacing another Elantra and I had a Sonata before that. Despite the recent recall, they are a good brand.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if cars actually cost the dealer more now or if they are just using availability as an excuse to screw the customer more than usual? Tried to buy a Honda Passport last month and they wanted $2k over MSRP BEFORE they added extra crap like all weather mats and nitrogen in tires. They can keep them.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if cars actually cost the dealer more now or if they are just using availability as an excuse to screw the customer more than usual? Tried to buy a Honda Passport last month and they wanted $2k over MSRP BEFORE they added extra crap like all weather mats and nitrogen in tires. They can keep them.
Part of it is to make up for the loss of sales volume, due to the shortages. It costs X amount to keep the lot running, so they have to up prices to make up for selling fewer cars. Not that I have much sympathy for car salesman, I was one for a month back in the 90s. Miserable time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom