Galaxy S22 Ultra...Pretty Impressive Camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesnt increased pixelation come with more digital zoom.

Yes. My last non-SLR camera was a Nikon Coolpix 5700 point and shoot one. While I liked it that it worked like an SLR in that what one saw in the viewfinder was what the lens itself was seeing, it had the drawback of some optical and then digital zoom. From what "they" used to say back then, once one passed the upper limit of optical zoom, then the camera "averaged" things internally.

After we were on our Alaskan cruise and land tour in 2005, I learned the serious limitation of digital zoom. The Captain of the ship had taken us back down the coast a ways to see Sea Lions on the rocks. I had to use digital zoom to see anything and get the shots. After the cruise, I was looking online for Alaska pictures and stumble upon a site with someone else's photos that was on the exact same cruise ship as we were. However, he was using a true SLR with a lens capable of 300mm telephoto. His pictures were nice and clear and mine were CRUD.

That's when I decided that I had to get back to true SLR cameras. That other guy's photo is at this link: Tornado's Sea Lions

Now, to show the really bad, here is one of my better photos of the Sea Lions, even though this one is not zoomed in as much as the other gentleman's.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the 100x photo isn't top quality. The point is, it's on a cell phone and if you could see the right side of the tower you'd easily be able to read what's on it from nearly 3 miles away. Personally, I think that's pretty amazing for a phone. For a good, stand-alone camera, or even a quality bridge camera, not so much.

And, yes, they do look much better on a computer screen. I didn't do any editing other than resize them for posting on the forum.

And part of the problem is the operator. I like photography...I just suck at it for the most part. It's just a hobby and I enjoy it. But with a camera/phone like this I'm finding I don't take my real cameras out nearly as much as I used to.

Oh, I agree with you on the better quality of the cell phone cameras. I recently got a new Motorola One cell phone. They also had a Motorola Edge that was supposed to have better camera capability, but I elected to stick with my regular cameras for photography. The Motorola One has four lenses on the back side, and if I am correct, each of those lenses covers different millimeter lengths so that the camera changes lenses as one zooms out toward their subject.

When we have been out traveling, especially so when we went to Utah and Arizona in November of 2020, almost everyone we saw were using cell phones for their cameras. So, you certainly wouldn't be alone in mostly using a cell phone. We are going to be taking some time to go visit family up in Idaho, and near where they live is a refuge where there are supposedly a lot of birds of prey and this is supposedly when they are nesting in that area. It looks like I will be lugging all of my equipment on this trip.

Oh, and practice the photography. I've never taken any formal training in photography, but I've looked at a lot of other people's photos and learned a lot from that. Pbase dot com is probably my favorite website to see photos of both professionals and amateurs. (And yes, "Pbase dot com" in that sentence is a link.)

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do practice. I Forrest Gump my way into some decent pictures now and then.

I have a Sony RX10-IV that I really like. Haven't had a camera with interchangeable lenses for years, mostly because for my skill level the expense and hassle of lugging around various lenses doesn't make it worth it to me.

I have a Panasonic FZ1000 that's a pretty neat camera, too.

I like taking them out, especially for birds. I love taking pictures of birds and other animals.

Light has been a nemesis for a long time but I'm finally getting the hang of managing it, on a basic level at least.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do practice. I Forrest Gump my way into some decent pictures now and then.

I have a Sony RX10-IV that I really like. Haven't had a camera with interchangeable lenses for years, mostly because for my skill level the expense and hassle of lugging around various lenses doesn't make it worth it to me.

I have a Panasonic FZ1000 that's a pretty neat camera, too.

I like taking them out, especially for birds. I love taking pictures of birds and other animals.

Light has been a nemesis for a long time but I'm finally getting the hang of managing it, on a basic level at least.

I don't know anything about the Sony or Panasonic cameras, but I have long stated that one doesn't have to have the "top of the line" cameras to get good photos. One might have to "work around" a bit, but even point and shoot cameras take good photos.

I have a favorite quote from Ansel Adams. It is something like, "There are no rules for good photos....there are just good photos."

Another of his that I like: "I just happen to be in the right place when God wants someone to 'snap the shutter.'"

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my s20 takes nice pics
20220214_204025.jpg
20220206_195036.jpg

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son just traded in my s10 plus and got me a s22 ultra. Looks good when I get rid of all the useless games and apps that we’re preloaded.

Not sure why I needed updates in the middle of my data migration as AT&T should have done that IMO on a new phonr.

Good weekend did a complete brake job with him & got a new phone. 👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom