Game Camera Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need this braintrust to help me understand a setting on my cameras. It should make sense but I can't wrap my brain around what the purpose.

The setting is "Picture Delay" and the manual says this "option allows you to chose how much of a 'timeout' there is between taking still pictures or videos". The settings are from 1 second to an hour. I understand what it does but I don't know why it would be anything outside of the one second.

What does setting the picture delay beyond immediate accomplish and why would you not want to capture all movement? Say I have it set for five minutes, I take a picture of a deer and it delays the five minutes before it takes another. I could miss other deer that are following it in this example, correct?

What am I missing and what do you have your picture delay set at, and why?

Thanks for the help.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If camera is over a bait spot, a 1 second delay can have 180 pics of the same deer in a 3 minute time span. Over and over again multiple times per day. It gets old when pulling an sd card and having 5000 pics per day.

On a trail, place it so that it is looking down the length of the trail so that you can see deer in background as well. Some try to put the cam on the side of the trail and often get just a partial pic of a deer in view or 1 deer and partial of another deer. You can run a shorter delay on a trail than a bait site.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I set my picture delay at 2 minutes on a corn feeder and 30 seconds on a trail. I will caution you to look for stray blades of grass or low hanging limbs in front of your camera, because even on a 30 second delay, it’s easy to get 1000 pictures of the wind blowing grass or a limb. Don’t ask me how I know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom