Game cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bumping this up. I confess, I never picked up one of the tascos Jon mentioned. I pulled cards for the first time since my son got his doe last weekend. I got him walking in at 4:02 and looking for his arrow at 7:10. The deer were there for ten minutes until he got an opportunity to draw. Not one single pic of the deer,WTH? I’ve tried moultrie,stealth cam,Browning,wildgame,cuddyback and a couple others I can’t remember. On top of the no pic issue, the quality of the night pics are crap. I can take the same cams to another area and get night time pics that I can live with. What is it about this spot that gives such bad pics
Microwave or cell tower really close? Underground utilities? I don't see how any of those could cause an autonomous camera to malfunction in one spot and work in other areas, but had to throw that out there.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is the back ground. The background has to be able to collect the light. If you do not have a back ground of trees and whatnot, then pic at night will suck.

I switched a couple cameras to the spypoint link micro cell cameras, they are around $100 and pay a little per month to have them sent to you. It is great to keep pressure down from checking cameras, and help you decide where to sit right then without that extra trip to the woods.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It is the back ground. The background has to be able to collect the light. If you do not have a back ground of trees and whatnot, then pic at night will suck.

I switched a couple cameras to the spypoint link micro cell cameras, they are around $100 and pay a little per month to have them sent to you. It is great to keep pressure down from checking cameras, and help you decide where to sit right then without that extra trip to the woods.
I’ve not tried cell cams in this area because of service. I can be at the bottom of the stand with no service but get 1 bar when I’m sitting in it. Someone told me the cams do better than a phone because of the external antenna. Can anyone confirm that ?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a few Browning Strike Force that are several years old and get good pictures day and night. My guess as to why you didn’t get a picture of your son’s deer is that it may have stepped in front of the camera in between “cycles”. I’ve had it happen too.

On the subject of cellular cameras, I posted earlier that my cell cameras have worked great for about 10 years, and suddenly, this year they don’t/won’t get service at the same locations they did this time last year. MIH posted a picture of his external antenna, but I haven’t had time to build one to try. I’ve had to go back to non-cellular cameras at locations with no signal and am not happy about it.:censored:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled cards out of a cam with ‘no file’ put new batteries in it and still ‘no file’. I can take this POS to my shop and it works fine. Bushnell cam purchased last year. Not left out during the off season.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulled cards out of a cam with ‘no file’ put new batteries in it and still ‘no file’. I can take this POS to my shop and it works fine. Bushnell cam purchased last year. Not left out during the off season.
Same SD card? Try formatting in camera.
Try a little different set up. I have had some "aimed" a little high and not get triggered unless subject was taller. Example: 6' tall man could trigger it, but deer wouldn't.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got to get into this cellular cam business. I'm 45 miles from the closest farm. By the time I hit all of them and get back home it's over a hundred miles and Tundra's don't get good mileage. I could pay for two the first year in fuel savings alone.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moultrie has a new one out that was on sale for $129 at cabelas. It didn’t have an external antenna like most do. I’ve got one area that if I’m standing where the cam is, I don’t have any service but if I climb the stand I get one bar. Wonder if the cam would be the same?
I have heard that the reception on the cams is better than phones though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom