Game warden outlines new rules: One turkey allowed during Oklahoma's spring hunting season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know. I dont turkey hunt turkey hunt anymore, heck seldom deer hunt either. Still good to know info.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t know that the “shock gobble” was a thing until recently. It’s now one of my favorite things to do if I spot some turkeys. So much fun.
We live 3/10 mile away from the asphalt county road below us. There was a pot hole that vehicles would hit before they fixed it. You could hear turkey all over that hill side gobble back in the day when we had lots of turkey.
Danged county fixed that pothole so that fun thing is over.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had wild turkeys til about 4 years ago and had about 12 or 15 come across the place for about 3 days then disappeared this year have seen 3 or 4, we have tried for years to get them started on the place with no success, we have raised 100's of tame thou.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm slaying as many raccoons, opossums (when in season), and skunks as possible out here. Their numbers are ridiculously high.

Hoping to have a positive effect on turkey hatching out here before my population is all gone.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. We live three miles from town with only three houses in that three miles. Town people like to bring their domestic animals out here to release them with the Free Willy syndrome.
We typically have to euthanize them if they even make it to our place. Domestic cat's don't need an excuse.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any advice for a first time turkey hunter? My 5 year old keeps asking to get in the woods so I figure we will give it a try this year. I’ve got all the gear already but never really gave it much effort. Will probably try to hunt on FTG WMA but they only had like 15 taken last year so the odds may be stacked against us.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any advice for a first time turkey hunter? My 5 year old keeps asking to get in the woods so I figure we will give it a try this year. I’ve got all the gear already but never really gave it much effort. Will probably try to hunt on FTG WMA but they only had like 15 taken last year so the odds may be stacked against us.
Avoid opening day, and weekends IMO. Get that boy in some camo and give some exploring in the woods a go. It doesn't have to be turkey season to trample around and sit for a bit to watch nature. In fact, outside of hunting season would be better so that you don't risk walking in on someone set up hunting. Make sure he is having fun, if you see an armadillo tell him to sneak up to it and catch it. He will have a ball trying to.

If set on turkey hunting try to set up on a weekday afternoon in open areas near hardwood trees. On hot sunny days, turkey will be under shade trees during the afternoon and will move out to scratch for food in the evening before heading to roost. Don't shoot or spook the turkey near the roost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom