Gameshow called "Genius Junior" and order of operations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help me out here, I was watching and it started with:

13 x 7 = 91 Easy no problem but then progressed to

91 + 60 x 4 = the answer they credited was 604 (i.e. 91+60 =151 x 4 = 604)

but my old dusty brain says that PEMDAS dictates

60x4 = 240 + 91 = 331

What say you math teachers? Or perhaps someone who watches this show regularly can enlighten me as to whether there is a standing rule of some kind that is used?

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OLD WAY
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (Pencil & Paper)

BEDMAS Definition (ALGEBRA) (Computer & Spreadsheets)

Although I'm a strong proponent of understanding the 'why' behind the math concept, there are acronyms that help individuals remember how to perform a set of procedure in math. BEDMAS or PEDMAS is one of them. BEDMAS is an acronym to help remember an order of operations in algebra basics. When you have math problems that require the use of different operations (multiplication, division, exponents, brackets, subtraction, addition) order is necessary and mathematicians have agreed on the BEDMAS/PEDMAS order.

Each letter of BEDMAS refers to one part of the operation to be used. In math, there is an agreed upon set of procedures for the order in which your operations are performed. You will likely come up with a wrong answer if you perform calculations out of the order. When you follow the correct order, the answer will be correct. Remember to work from left to right as you use the BEDMAS order of operations. Each letter stands for: Remember to work from left to right as you use the BEDMAS order of operations. Each letter stands for:
  • B - Brackets
  • E - Exponents
  • D - Division
  • M - Multiplication
  • A - Addition
  • S - Subtraction
  • You have probably also heard the acronym PEDMAS. Using PEDMAS, the order of operations is the same, however, the P merely means parentheses. In these references, parentheses and brackets mean the same thing.
    There are a couple of things to remember when applying the PEDMAS/BEDMAS order of operations. Brackets/Parenthesis always come first and exponents come second. When working with multiplication and division, you do whichever comes first as you work from left to right. If multiplication comes first, do it before dividing. The same holds true for addition and subtraction, when the subtraction comes first, subtract before you add. It may help to look at BEDMAS like this:B - Brackets or Parenthesis
  • Exponents
  • Division or Multiplication
  • Addition or Subtraction
When you are working with parenthesis and there is more than one set of parenthesis, you will work with the inside set of parenthesis and work your way to the outside parenthesis.

To remember PEDMAS or BEDMAS, the following sentences have been used:
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Big Elephants Destroy Mice and Snails.
Pink Elephants Destroy Mice and Snails

You can make up your own sentence to help you remember the acronym and there certainly are more sentences out there to help you remember the order of operations. If you're creative, make up one that you'll remember.

If you are using a basic calculator to perform the calculations, remember to enter in the calculations as required by BEDMAS or PEDMAS. The more you practice using BEDMAS, the easier it gets.

Once you are comfortable with the understanding of the order of operations, try using a spreadsheet to calculate the order of operations. Spreadsheets offer a variety of formulas and computational opportunities when your calculator isn't handy.

Ultimately, it's important to understand the math behind the 'acronym'. Even if the acronym is helpful, understand how, why and when it works is more important.

Pronunciation: Bedmass or Pedmass

Also Known As: Order of operations in Algebra.

Alternate Spellings: BEDMAS or PEDMAS (Brackets vs Parenthesis)

Common Misspellings: Brackets versus parenthesis make the difference in the acronym BEDMAS vs PEDMAS

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OLD WAY
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (Pencil & Paper)

BEDMAS Definition (ALGEBRA) (Computer & Spreadsheets)

Although I'm a strong proponent of understanding the 'why' behind the math concept, there are acronyms that help individuals remember how to perform a set of procedure in math. BEDMAS or PEDMAS is one of them. BEDMAS is an acronym to help remember an order of operations in algebra basics. When you have math problems that require the use of different operations (multiplication, division, exponents, brackets, subtraction, addition) order is necessary and mathematicians have agreed on the BEDMAS/PEDMAS order.

Each letter of BEDMAS refers to one part of the operation to be used. In math, there is an agreed upon set of procedures for the order in which your operations are performed. You will likely come up with a wrong answer if you perform calculations out of the order. When you follow the correct order, the answer will be correct. Remember to work from left to right as you use the BEDMAS order of operations. Each letter stands for: Remember to work from left to right as you use the BEDMAS order of operations. Each letter stands for:
  • B - Brackets
  • E - Exponents
  • D - Division
  • M - Multiplication
  • A - Addition
  • S - Subtraction
  • You have probably also heard the acronym PEDMAS. Using PEDMAS, the order of operations is the same, however, the P merely means parentheses. In these references, parentheses and brackets mean the same thing.
    There are a couple of things to remember when applying the PEDMAS/BEDMAS order of operations. Brackets/Parenthesis always come first and exponents come second. When working with multiplication and division, you do whichever comes first as you work from left to right. If multiplication comes first, do it before dividing. The same holds true for addition and subtraction, when the subtraction comes first, subtract before you add. It may help to look at BEDMAS like this:B - Brackets or Parenthesis
  • Exponents
  • Division or Multiplication
  • Addition or Subtraction
When you are working with parenthesis and there is more than one set of parenthesis, you will work with the inside set of parenthesis and work your way to the outside parenthesis.

To remember PEDMAS or BEDMAS, the following sentences have been used:
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Big Elephants Destroy Mice and Snails.
Pink Elephants Destroy Mice and Snails

You can make up your own sentence to help you remember the acronym and there certainly are more sentences out there to help you remember the order of operations. If you're creative, make up one that you'll remember.

If you are using a basic calculator to perform the calculations, remember to enter in the calculations as required by BEDMAS or PEDMAS. The more you practice using BEDMAS, the easier it gets.

Once you are comfortable with the understanding of the order of operations, try using a spreadsheet to calculate the order of operations. Spreadsheets offer a variety of formulas and computational opportunities when your calculator isn't handy.

Ultimately, it's important to understand the math behind the 'acronym'. Even if the acronym is helpful, understand how, why and when it works is more important.

Pronunciation: Bedmass or Pedmass

Also Known As: Order of operations in Algebra.

Alternate Spellings: BEDMAS or PEDMAS (Brackets vs Parenthesis)

Common Misspellings: Brackets versus parenthesis make the difference in the acronym BEDMAS vs PEDMAS
I had never even heard of BEDMAS/PEDMAS in HS. I had a crappy teacher for Algebra. While in the Army, I took a refresher Math class and when BEDMAS and PEDMAS was explained, it all fell in line in my scunion. I said Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it. Everyone looked at me like I was having a blond moment LOL. But hey, I was Infantry and not like a Nuclear reactor tech or sumtin like that.

Algebra made a LOT more sense after that.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with 331. Windows Calculator (which evaluates according to proper order of operations) agrees:

upload_2018-3-18_23-26-48.png

upload_2018-3-18_23-27-3.png

Note: that's in Scientific mode (under the View menu); in Standard mode, it evaluates immediately at each step, without regard to order of operations.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing while watching. My guess- It is a verbal problem with appropriate pauses and not written down. I'm sure that they went over it all beforehand and explained how it was to be done and answered any questions the kids had; probably a few rehearsals.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
60x4 = 240 + 91 = 331
multiply and divide, left to right
add and subtract , left to right
multiply and add, Order of Operations
Pink Elephants Destroy Mice And Snails
(Parenthesis, Exponents, Divide, Multiply, Add, Subtract)

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing while watching. My guess- It is a verbal problem with appropriate pauses and not written down. I'm sure that they went over it all beforehand and explained how it was to be done and answered any questions the kids had; probably a few rehearsals.

You're probably right.

Jennifer Crosby

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm so glad that I found this thread! I thought I was going crazy lol I actually brought out the old pencil and paper! These kids aren't geniuses if they don't know the "Order of Operations" and what's even worse is the fact that a major network station allowed it to be aired, just blows my mind! Wow!

Latest posts

Top Bottom