Garage door opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know someone in or near Sapulpa that works on garage door openers?

if you just press the button on any remote or wired button, it won’t close. It will start down, but acts as if it hit something, stops, and goes back up. You can hold the wired button down and it will close, but if you let off before it closes all the way, it goes back up. if I disengage it, the door opens and closes easily by hand, and the motor seems to run smoothly. But once you re-engage the release, it won’t go down. Up always works fine.

open to suggestions if anyone has one, I tried lubricating the rollers and chain, and played with a couple of adjustments on the motor but no luck. Suggestions or referrals?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing eyes are blocked or misaligned or wire has been knock off back of one.
Are they safety sensors working? Are the lights on each sensor? Sounds like it might be related to those.
I looked at the sensors and cleaned some spider webs in front of them, but didn't help. I didn't notice lights on them, but didn't specifically look for that. Thanks guys, I will look at those a little closer.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the sensors and cleaned some spider webs in front of them, but didn't help. I didn't notice lights on them, but didn't specifically look for that. Thanks guys, I will look at those a little closer.

I don't know much about such things, but it may be that the little light will be on when the two sensors (or sensor and reflector) are properly aligned to each other.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be leaves,cobwebs, or other debris hanging down from the bottom of your door and when the sensors see these it recognizes them as objects in the path of the door and opens back up. You may have already checked this but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are amazing! There ARE lights on the sensors, I noticed one of them was a little dim and flickering a bit. No loose wires, but I thought maybe they go bad and started looking to remove it from the bracket... found a wing nut on the back of the bracket and as I started loosening it, noticed the the light got brighter or dimmer as it swiveled up and down. So I pointed it so that the light was at its brightest, tightened the wing nut back down and tested a few times. Seems to be working perfectly now.

Thanks so much, that saved me some headaches and money!

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My moms garage door opener did the same a week ago. I found a spider had built quite a web over one of the electronic eyes. Cleared the web & killed the spider, it started working again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom