Garage Door Springs/Inflation/Much suckage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just replaced ours in 2018 maybe. Cost was $35.00 for the spring, and $25.00 for two turning rods. Did it myself with utmost care and had zero issues. IIRC it was 25 turns and lock 'em down. People will post a picture from Facebook of a bloody garage door and say it's from someone messing up, but it's fake. You can hurt yourself with doing it, for sure, but it's not going to boat-propeller your arm off if you go slow and make sure you're sticking the rods all the way in. It's not even a tough turn. A woman could do it.

Disclaimer: Fixing your own garage door is dangerous. People have been killed doing it (maybe). Ask your doctor to check out your prostate first. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Member FJB, LMNOP.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much did you used to pay? Out of curiosity.
I think the last set was ~$125. Mine are the Torquemaster Plus type, so the springs are inside the tube. Not sure if they are cheaper or more expensive than the others.

I'd just like to be surprised occasionally by how reasonable something seems. Not the 'crap, that seems high' reaction which is my norm nowadays.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They give a 3 year non prorated parts AND labor warranty so that was a nice upgrade. Was always one year in the past.

This is Overhead Garage Door by the way. The company.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen large commercial overhead door springs go nuts when I worked at solo for 23 years. Its job that can get you injured and or killed if not done correctly. Can it be a DIY job yup sure can, but like the OP this is one of those jobs I would hire out vs DIY.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Next Door Neighbor App had a lady on it today complaining that her A/C went out and she was quoted $20,000 to replace the unit. It seems to me that a couple of years ago some company was advertising on TV $4,995.00 for a complete unit. I am of the belief that there are a lot of companies that are taking advantage of the consumer by using Covid and now inflation to upcharge what should be a reasonable fee. I could be wrong but being a little cynical, I know that businesses are out there to make money, some anyway they can. So if my house needs painting, I can accept that paint has gone up a bit but why would the painter charge me more for his labor than a year ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been wrong before and I've learned from my mistakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom