Garage Door Springs/Inflation/Much suckage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I would have to shop around and see if I could beat that price, if I wasn't going to do it myself.

I didn't know that broken garage door springs were so common. It sounds like they're not putting the correct springs on them so they can replace them more often. :anyone:

I worked in a shop for many years that had two big overhead doors that were opened and closed several times a day and they never needed a spring replaced. BTW, the company that installed the doors was called Overhead Erections.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I would have to shop around and see if I could beat that price, if I wasn't going to do it myself.

I didn't know that broken garage door springs were so common. It sounds like they're not putting the correct springs on them so they can replace them more often. :anyone:

I worked in a shop for many years that had two big overhead doors that were opened and closed several times a day and they never needed a spring replaced. BTW, the company that installed the doors was called Overhead Erections.
Cheap Chinese springs

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was replacing the springs on my door and my wife came out and started talking to me. I told her that the work I was doing could actually kill me. She kept talking.

This is what a garage door spring can do if you aren’t paying attention when you are loading the spring. A buddy of mine sent me this a while back. He said the tool he was using pinned his hand to the wall. The tool entered over his knuckles and traveled across under the skin to his thumb.

4E1F30CE-0116-49EA-BAE4-1046C9B90E81.jpeg2CC25A48-AC97-420C-A7A9-F453289D7E1E.jpeg

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was replacing the springs on my door and my wife came out and started talking to me. I told her that the work I was doing could actually kill me. She kept talking.

This is what a garage door spring can do if you aren’t paying attention when you are loading the spring. A buddy of mine sent me this a while back. He said the tool he was using pinned his hand to the wall. The tool entered over his knuckles and traveled across under the skin to his thumb.
This is exactly why you pay attention when you're doing the work. You don't put your hand between the door and the rod. EVER. You just grab the rod and push up. Then you do it again with the next one. At no point should it catch your hand against the wall.
My guess is your friend wasn't using spring rods (screwdrivers?) or he got to turning and started grabbing early. Here's a video of the process. It's not difficult at all to do it safely.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’m not sure they weight the door when choosing the springs. The original set of springs lasted about 40 years at my mom’s house.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Next Door Neighbor App had a lady on it today complaining that her A/C went out and she was quoted $20,000 to replace the unit. It seems to me that a couple of years ago some company was advertising on TV $4,995.00 for a complete unit. I am of the belief that there are a lot of companies that are taking advantage of the consumer by using Covid and now inflation to upcharge what should be a reasonable fee. I could be wrong but being a little cynical, I know that businesses are out there to make money, some anyway they can. So if my house needs painting, I can accept that paint has gone up a bit but why would the painter charge me more for his labor than a year ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been wrong before and I've learned from my mistakes.
The reason they charge more now is that they pay more now, and they have the same sorts of bills you do, plus all the business expenses, like technicians who want regular raises to keep up with the increasing expenses. They also need to stash some money so they can keep going when all the cheap bastriches like me are DIYing all the jobs they have to charge more for. If they don't charge more they go out of business because they cannot afford to lose money. If they do charge more, they may still go out of business because more folks can't afford their prices now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom