Garage find

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MIL had the wife and I come over and go thru the garage to see if there was anything of use to us before she has a garage sale.. I found a Remington model 41 Target master single shot.. It's seen it's better days and will need a good bit of TLC, but it's 1 more tool I inherited from FIL Jack.. I'll go from here to google fu and see what I can't find but some of you may be able to give me the lo down..

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, barrel length is measured from end to ? It's got a lengthy barrel on it..
ATF measures from the muzzle to the breech/bolt face for the purposes of NFA lengths, but I think revolvers are measured from the muzzle to the forcing cone. I'm not sure about other barrel length measurements.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170068

So far this is what I have found out about these rifles:

Model 41, Targetmaster – Single Shot Bolt Action
1936 - year introduced
1939 - Year discontinued
Approximately: 307,000 manufactured (This number really surprises me. I had no idea that over 300K of this type of inexpensive rifles would be produced in 4 years)
Designed by: C.C. Loomis
Serial number blocks: Starting: 00001, Ending: 307000 ( My rifle is so new that I haven't even yet inspected it closely. But from the initial once over I could not find anything that looked like a serial number on it) EDITED per grandparem's comments below - what I meant to say was that according to this info on Remington's web site. It appears that individual guns were serial numbered. More so than the barrel stamping of "BLACKPOWDERX" with each letter representing a month and then a year code. Hope that makes sense.

Models of the 41 series the Model 41 Targetmaster, 41A, 41PS, 41AS
Model 41A Smooth bore, Model 41SB

The above is straight from the Remington web site.

Doing a web search also produced this:

Remington introduced the Model 41 Targetmaster in 1936 to replace the model 33. The 41 was available in two grades, P and A. The P grade had a 27 inch round barrel, one piece American walnut pistol grip stock with a beaver-tail for end, a shotgun style butt plate, hooded front sight and a Remington receiver mounted peep rear sight. Model 41 P grade rifles retailed in 1936 for $6.00. The A grade rifle was the same as the P grade except that the front sight was a white metal bead and the rear sight was a step adjustable sporting type. Model 41 A grade rifles retailed in 1936 for $5.25.

Remington discontinued Model 41 production after 306,880 rifles had been produced in December of 1939 when they introduced the Model 510 Targetmaster to replace it.

Blue book values for Model 41 A and P grades are in the $85.00 to $150.00 range depending on condition with P grade versions being worth $25 more on average than A grade models.

Anyone have information to add about model 41's? Any and all information is appreciated.

Regards,
Rob

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170068

So far this is what I have found out about these rifles:

Model 41, Targetmaster – Single Shot Bolt Action
1936 - year introduced
1939 - Year discontinued
Approximately: 307,000 manufactured (This number really surprises me. I had no idea that over 300K of this type of inexpensive rifles would be produced in 4 years)
Designed by: C.C. Loomis
Serial number blocks: Starting: 00001, Ending: 307000 ( My rifle is so new that I haven't even yet inspected it closely. But from the initial once over I could not find anything that looked like a serial number on it) EDITED per grandparem's comments below - what I meant to say was that according to this info on Remington's web site. It appears that individual guns were serial numbered. More so than the barrel stamping of "BLACKPOWDERX" with each letter representing a month and then a year code. Hope that makes sense.

Models of the 41 series the Model 41 Targetmaster, 41A, 41PS, 41AS
Model 41A Smooth bore, Model 41SB

The above is straight from the Remington web site.

Doing a web search also produced this:

Remington introduced the Model 41 Targetmaster in 1936 to replace the model 33. The 41 was available in two grades, P and A. The P grade had a 27 inch round barrel, one piece American walnut pistol grip stock with a beaver-tail for end, a shotgun style butt plate, hooded front sight and a Remington receiver mounted peep rear sight. Model 41 P grade rifles retailed in 1936 for $6.00. The A grade rifle was the same as the P grade except that the front sight was a white metal bead and the rear sight was a step adjustable sporting type. Model 41 A grade rifles retailed in 1936 for $5.25.

Remington discontinued Model 41 production after 306,880 rifles had been produced in December of 1939 when they introduced the Model 510 Targetmaster to replace it.

Blue book values for Model 41 A and P grades are in the $85.00 to $150.00 range depending on condition with P grade versions being worth $25 more on average than A grade models.

Anyone have information to add about model 41's? Any and all information is appreciated.

Regards,
Rob

Thank you Very much Rob I do appreciate that wealth of intel..
The bolt lever is broken off and no where's to be found.. Looks like I have a wall hanger.. From that write up I'll say this is an A grade, I said to the wife what did this cost in 1936 and she guessed 5 dollars so she was off by a quarter..

Latest posts

Top Bottom