Garage freezer question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy as big as you can afford. While a smaller freezer might hold what you want, it is a pain in the posterior to unload it to get to the one package you need that just happens to be on the bottom. Also words of advice from an appliance repairman, if the company makes tvs, you do not want their appliances. This includes GE, Samsung, LG, etc.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GE use to make good refrig/freezers but now days they all pretty much suck as far as longtivity goes.
Keep a thermometer in your freezer and check it every so often, i have one in all my refrig and freezers.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GE use to make good refrig/freezers but now days they all pretty much suck as far as longtivity goes.
Keep a thermometer in your freezer and check it every so often, i have one in all my refrig and freezers.
My parent's GE lasted 48 years, 1967-2015.
Chest freezers make great storage bins for horse feed one they are defunct as freezers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a chest freezer and it was not good for all the reasons above in this thread.
I get an elk most years plus a deer every year to put in the freezer. Both fit into a 21 CF upright freezer that is a manual defrost.
I'm thinking an entire steer would fit just fine.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a Kenmore 14cuft chest freezer with 2 rows of 4 hanging baskets and then the bottom. I dont have any problems with items getting lost. Came with 2 baskets and the extra baskets were $30 IIRC but its been worth it.

I lose some space with the basket system but nothing is ever lost in the chest. I slide one basket on the top row, then slide the basket on the lower row and can get at anything on the bottom.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uprights and power outages can be more of problem.

1. Fuller the better
2. Don't open unless absolutely necessary.
3. When you open, get 3-6 meals out and put in ice chests. No need to open again.
4. Generator is your friend.
5. Use from top down. Bottom is colder.
6. Longer power outage, start cooking.

Really old GE were very dependable. New stuff is crap.
LG is LATIN (Mexico) GE.
Samsung makes good appliances, but parts are unobtanium, if you need service.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uprights and power outages can be more of problem.

1. Fuller the better
2. Don't open unless absolutely necessary.
3. When you open, get 3-6 meals out and put in ice chests. No need to open again.
4. Generator is your friend.
5. Use from top down. Bottom is colder.
6. Longer power outage, start cooking.

Really old GE were very dependable. New stuff is crap.
LG is LATIN (Mexico) GE.
Samsung makes good appliances, but parts are unobtanium, if you need service.
LG is Lucky Goldstar, a Korean company. They just go by the LG these days, but make stuff all over.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, a 16cu will not hold a full size beef. Half likely yes. We bought 2 new 19+ Cubes around 2019 , 1 chest 1 upright both frigidaire happy so far. 330 lbs near filled the upright.
Worst PoS freezer we ever had was a GE.
Have 2 upright Frigidaire (from Lowes), a 21 and a 27. 2 chest freezers, 12 and 14,
Frigidaire and Kenmore (Maytag).

I will NEVER have another chest. Upright takes up less space and is easier to locate what you want.

With 3 refrigerators, we still need more capacity. Freezers seem to be in short supply.
Took 4-6 months to get the upright, the chest was just days later. Fridgidares from Lowe's.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on the foreign-made parts availability……crazy hard to get. Our appliance guy said they’re all a crap-shoot, you get a good one or you don’t. His opinion was buy domestic, simply because you are more likely (but not assured) to find parts. If your appliance needs a whozawhatzit, then every one sold likely needs one too. Add in that they share so many common parts, they become hard to get…..even harder if they are warehoused or made on the other side of the globe (most stuff is admittedly chicom-made, but ”domestic” stuff might be more available).
As for the upright/power outage thing, our upright (12+ years old, frigidaire) has done well with minimal aux generator support, although we have not had any really long outages to deal with where I am. I think keeping it nearly full, and limiting door-open time is the trick to keeping it cold for a long time.
We just put half a beef in it, and had room (not much😀) for a blue and gold order, I think it’s a 21 cu/footer.
Get the biggest one you can afford and fit!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom