Garage fridge not working well when it’s cold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess there is such a thing as an actual garage fridge! (Googled it)
Just watched a video on our problem, seems it has to do with the thermostat being inside the fridge not the freezer, and in cold spells the fridge is stays cooler because of the cold garage temp, thus the freezer doesn’t kick on as much.( the freezer is what creates the cold and it just flows through a door into the fridge and the triggers the thermostat when the fridge is at the desired temp.)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn’t know that either about a garage fridge. I have a 30+ year old Frigidaire in my garage that was used in a house for decades, and it’s humming right along summer and winter. No issues.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hasn’t been that cold, only in the mid 20s so far and just for a bit. My garage isn’t heated but it so far hasn’t dropped below 47°. Don’t think all refrigerators have them. Mine has a separate freezer and refrigerator control which would seem to solve the problem. I know zip about cooling systems in fridges and am glad to have read this thread. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on things. I did notice my chest freezer wasn’t quite as cold so I dialed down the thermostat and it’s been fine ever since. Thank you

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn’t know that either about a garage fridge. I have a 30+ year old Frigidaire in my garage that was used in a house for decades, and it’s humming right along summer and winter. No issues.

I’ve got an old early 70’s coke machine with a vertical door on one side where the bottles lay that I keep on the back porch. Drop the coin, open the door and grab a bottle and pull. I keep beer in it, well I did before it got fried in a lightening strike.

In the summer when you’d pop a top the neck would fill with slush. It was that cold. Hotter it was, colder the beer was. In the winter the beer would be warmer than the outside temp when it got pretty cold.

It was an inside machine. It matters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom