Garage heads advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try lemon juice or even vinegar since they are a weak acid. I would test it on a inconspicuous area. Acid should help reduce the corrosion if that’s the issue.
Also when applying the heat, you want to expand the outer housing while keeping the inner threaded section cool if possible. That should cause a mechanical break if they are corroded together. I’d probaly try a torch (propane or maap gas) to heat quickly.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, the metal has corroded and seized. I would use something simple-like WD-40, it works with corroded plumbing connections and if that didn't work, I'd go with brake fluid and transmission fluid. You can take the two apart but...you have to let the rest of us know how you did it and what fluids you used to get the job done.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, for IS rated (explosion proof) items there are certain safeguards that need to be in place to prevent the item from coming apart and creating a spark. Why not start with that thought? And sometimes certain things just aren’t meant to be apart.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little more heat, judiciously using a propane torch, gentle tapping, and developing a way to hold it securely. Going to be difficult as there is going to be a fine line between just enough force, and too much.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I second the transmission fluid. It might have to soak for some time though.
I occasionally use old gas and used oil mixed together. It works wonders and is virtually free if you have some sitting around.
Good luck, it’s a cool old lamp and I’d like to see the finished product.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, brake fluid didn’t work - the thing isn’t budging at all. I added a bit more BF, flipped it over, and will let it sit overnight. If that doesn’t work, I have transmission fluid... and a Sawzall ;)

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the brake fluid....give it time to soak. Clean it from the exterior and put your strap wrench back on. Try to tighten it up (the bell part, not the wrench) and keep alternating between tightening and loosening. That will work the corrosion both ways. If you get any movement in either direction you're home free, but take it slow.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, brake fluid didn’t work - the thing isn’t budging at all. I added a bit more BF, flipped it over, and will let it sit overnight. If that doesn’t work, I have transmission fluid... and a Sawzall ;)

Theys a lotta difference between soaking and shooting up with a syringe lol. Don't be afraid to soak it in some brake fluid. That trick has been used around many oldschool mechanics for many years. Tranny fluid will work but the brake fluid is thinner and spreads more. Its also great for loosening exhaust parts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom