Garage heat opinion..........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Niceee............few options I can look over.
No outside door to mount a window heater/cooler into. The wall my work bench is on faces the front patio, not sure momma would like a a/c looking unit hanging out there but it's a thought.
Sure temping to set up my barrel tent stove and run the flue out the window but then I have to go cut wood, make son split and stack it etc. I know I know, I whine a lot! :) :)

Thanks guys
I also have a double barrel wood burning stove in the shop. Once the big propane heater gets it up to temp and the propane central heat unit maintains it, I fire up the wood burner, burning everything from milk jugs, news paper, scrap wood, whatever. Heat is heat.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161223_7725f70e3ebde45023a2604c72a93fdd.jpg

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted the picture of my small, detached, work shed I'm going to run power to soon. Thought a great idea would be a Frig/8,000 btu heater/ac window unit. Will do 350 SQ. Feet. Lowe's had one for sale and was going to order it but measured the point to point width of the window and the Fridg. specs was 26.6" and my p to p is 21.5". That's not sure they over size them in their specs. but doubt I will find a smaller one.
Now I may have to get an AC only for the window and maybe a separate electric heater. Don't want to cut a hole in the wall for the combo unit and don't want to put a heater that has to be vented.
Any suggestions? Need to start the process after the 1st of the year and want to get this part done with.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Big Buddy propane heater hooked up to a 20 lb tank in my shop. I really cannot use much electric heat since it is solar powered. It is well insulated though. In my garage I mounted a wall mounted gas heater. My hot water heater was real close and I tapped into that gas line.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At our cabins in the country we've had good luck with the LG combination heat/AC window units. We just built them into the sides of the cabins.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted the picture of my small, detached, work shed I'm going to run power to soon. Thought a great idea would be a Frig/8,000 btu heater/ac window unit. Will do 350 SQ. Feet. Lowe's had one for sale and was going to order it but measured the point to point width of the window and the Fridg. specs was 26.6" and my p to p is 21.5". That's not sure they over size them in their specs. but doubt I will find a smaller one.
Now I may have to get an AC only for the window and maybe a separate electric heater. Don't want to cut a hole in the wall for the combo unit and don't want to put a heater that has to be vented.
Any suggestions? Need to start the process after the 1st of the year and want to get this part done with.
I had a similar situation with my small (10' x 8') backyard shop, I couldn't find a combo unit that would fit. I ended up going with the smallest windowshaker a/c unit I could find for the hot months, then bring it in and run an oil-filled radiant heater (click here for examples) when it gets cold. The shop is reasonably well insulated and I have no trouble keeping it comfortable no matter how hot or cold it is outside.

The heaters can be found all over the place, wally world, Home Depot, Lowes, Sams, I even saw a pile of them at my local grocery store.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my small (10' x 8') backyard shop, I couldn't find a combo unit that would fit. I ended up going with the smallest windowshaker a/c unit I could find for the hot months, then bring it in and run an oil-filled radiant heater (click here for examples) when it gets cold. The shop is reasonably well insulated and I have no trouble keeping it comfortable no matter how hot or cold it is outside.

The heaters can be found all over the place, wally world, Home Depot, Lowes, Sams, I even saw a pile of them at my local grocery store.
Thanks for the reply. Looking for a window unit that's fairly high efficiency (8,000 btu) because the building (I think I posted a picture) is less than 350 sq. ft. I have a couple of these units you sent pictures of, but never thought about using them.
Thanks. You saved me money.
The opening is 21.5" point to point in width.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally would get ahold of one of the double barrel heaters especially if fuel was readily available and the shop was large enough. You can even go to a triple barrel if you find that the flue is still hot to the touch or add some fins to the top barrel to scavenge some more heat out of it.

In a smaller shop in town with little access to a lot of burning fuel I would try and find a motel/hotel that is renovating and upgrading the HVAC units. Some of the nicer ones have heat pumps for heating and cooling, you can find them new as well but for a shop a used one would be great. That or look into the small split units that are available. I know the OKC gun club uses one out at the pistol ranges and it seems to work well.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When installing anything that requires a flu or chimney, you should ALWAYS clear it with your insurance company first.

Many have restrictions, such as the flu/chimney must be professionally cleaned at specific intervals (some require it every 6 months), and some won't insure anything with flu/chimney installations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom