Garage Sale Honesty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doubt he’s an ffl. If not what he’s doing is illegal
Not necessarily. There's no law against buying and selling guns for profit. Exactly when it becomes "in the business" is a gray area, but generally when you start to generate enough money that you would have to claim it as income, get a tax ID, etc.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a Dilbert cartoon where the pointy hair boss says to a group of customers "And we have the highest profit margins in the industry!"
Somebody whispers in his ear and he says, Apparently I wasn't supposed to say that.
No kidding, our corporate stock got pretty high at one time and there was quite a bit of speculation that it might split again. We were in an employee meeting and the CEO mentions the rumors and says, "We really don't have any plans to split the stock." The VP over investor relations sitting off to the side says something that is inaudible to most of us, the CEO listens to him for a second then says... "Probably wasn't supposed to say that." It was pretty funny!

My only point in the above is if the guy *could* have had an FFL he did not admit to a crime. Frankly, there is a little wiggle room even if he said he did NOT have an FFL.... I believe the standard is "engaged in the business". Buying one gun and planning to eventually sell it (maybe after hunting season?) and wanting to make a profit when you do might or might not be seen as "engaged in the business". I don't know what he was doing, I'm just saying it doesn't *necessarily* sound like he admitted to a crime.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, He admitted to breaking the law. Ya'll can cry and snivel all you want about how unconstitutional it is, AND I agree with that; but unless people are willing to pull the trigger and fight for the rights that have been withered away, then the point is moot.

You do the speed limit in the left lane don't you?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did he say he was not an FFL? It's possible he's a dealer or pawn shop owner or has a license and flips guns as a side business, and checks garage sales, or just happens to ask about guns when he's at one for whatever reason. If he said he is flipping them and doesn't have a license he admitted to breaking the law, but just because he didn't mention a license doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

I should probably go back and read the OP and see if that's mentioned, but I don't remember and I'm too lazy to check. :rollingla
Like I said, I'll let the ATF figure that out

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if you reported it to the ATF, Special Agent Wojohoitz would say "He just SAID he can't make a profit at that price? Okay, give me his license number but make it quick, I have a lunch date and I'm running late." Then he'd hang up the phone, roll his eyes, and go to lunch.

Now the D.A. in St. Louis.... she would probably prosecute him. :rollingla

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stand by my idgaf mentality. You could have asked if he was a buyer or not. Opinions are like assholes

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There's no law against buying and selling guns for profit. Exactly when it becomes "in the business" is a gray area, but generally when you start to generate enough money that you would have to claim it as income, get a tax ID, etc.
The atf decides that grey area

Last edited:

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. The guy might be improving his collection and selling others. It is not illegal to sell unwanted guns for a profit.

And people that want to call the AFT on people for it is disgusting.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh my… Everyone is a felon? Reductio ad absurdum much?

There are so many laws on the books that yes. Many, if not most have committed some felony in some way at some point.

Governments can not control law abiding citizens, so they make so many laws (contradicting ones are a bonus) that no man can know them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom