Garage Sale Honesty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful around here too, looks like we have the thought police ready to call the ATF.
To be clear, I do not advocate for calling the ATF, but if you're gonna tell me straight up that you're doing something that's in a very gray area that's completely subject to the whims of an agency that is known for making arbitrary and capricious decisions, I don't want any tiny bit of that. I have enough complexity in my life without the possibility of that coming back to add more.

Jack Johnson

GOD, GUNS, and GUTS made AMERICA GREAT
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The reason I joined this thread was because of what happened to me at a yard sale Saturday. I had $25 in my pocket and nothing to do so I drove into town to hit some garage sales. It was close to noon and I was at my 4th sale when I hit the jackpot, it was a back yard sale and it was full of milsurp and ammo and knives and swords. I scanned quickly but didn't see any guns. I over heard the owner say this was all her father's stuff he had collected while in the Air Force. I bought some ammo, some camo, and for some reason I bought 4 tiny china teacups that were stamped made in "occupied Japan" for $1 each. As I was leaving I noticed a table of costume jewelry. A quick scan found 3 rings that were definitely not costume jewelry. One was marked 18k WG with a diamond setting and the other two were marked 925, one had an amethyst and the other had some blue stone I couldn't identify. Each was marked $3. I quickly counted my change and came up with $6. I could only buy 2 rings, or I could offer her $6 for the 3. Or. I could tell the lady about her mistake. After pondering the price of silver and gold for a few seconds I called her over to the table. I showed her the rings and she began to cry because they belonged to her late mother and they had overlooked them when they set up the sale. The title Honesty at Garage Sales made me read this thread and reflect on how much richer I was by doing the right thing instead of making a big score.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of Jury Nullification?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

It is a something that I believe Judges do not like!

Basicly, if your a juror, you have the power to say "not guilty", because you as the juror do not like the law that claimed was broken.

For example;

If I was on a jury and one of you was being charged for carrying a concealed weapon into a government building, and you are clearly guilty, I would say "not guilty", because I believe the second amendment applies to government buildings too!

Last edited:

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did I just read about multiple people going out of their way to "Call the ATF" to tattle on what a person said at a Garage Sale?
Unfortunately yes.
The reason I joined this thread was because of what happened to me at a yard sale Saturday. I had $25 in my pocket and nothing to do so I drove into town to hit some garage sales. It was close to noon and I was at my 4th sale when I hit the jackpot, it was a back yard sale and it was full of milsurp and ammo and knives and swords. I scanned quickly but didn't see any guns. I over heard the owner say this was all her father's stuff he had collected while in the Air Force. I bought some ammo, some camo, and for some reason I bought 4 tiny china teacups that were stamped made in "occupied Japan" for $1 each. As I was leaving I noticed a table of costume jewelry. A quick scan found 3 rings that were definitely not costume jewelry. One was marked 18k WG with a diamond setting and the other two were marked 925, one had an amethyst and the other had some blue stone I couldn't identify. Each was marked $3. I quickly counted my change and came up with $6. I could only buy 2 rings, or I could offer her $6 for the 3. Or. I could tell the lady about her mistake. After pondering the price of silver and gold for a few seconds I called her over to the table. I showed her the rings and she began to cry because they belonged to her late mother and they had overlooked them when they set up the sale. The title Honesty at Garage Sales made me read this thread and reflect on how much richer I was by doing the right thing instead of making a big score.
Bravo, sir!

There is most certainly a difference between a good deal and taking advantage of someone's unintentional mistake.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did the right thing

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought this was too good to pass up. The wife and I decided to have a garage sale today. Inadvertently I put out some firearm related items like ammo cans and an optic for sale which signaled some folks to ask if I had any guns/ammo for sale.

One person in particular approached and asked, so I brought out the firearms I was selling. We chat, he asks what I want for them one by one, making various facial expressions as he inspects them, and then moving on to the next one.

After he checked out all of the firearms he looks me dead in the eyes and says that firearm A and B are good prices but that firearm C is way too much. He then says "at that price, I can't make any money on it, that's just how it is, you know?" Then, without any response on my part, he hands me it back, tells me how he buys guns all over the place and shops hundreds of garage sales, and leaves.

Not sure if I should be offended if someone says the quiet part out loud or if I should be thankful for his honesty
I wouldn't be surprised if he was trolling for places either burglarize himself, or send friends after.

Bill

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, well it got thumbs up. So there are others that want to victimize gun owners (doing nothing dangerous or even causing a tort) with the AFT. Disgusting.
OMG! Someone said something unpopular and one other person admitted to liking what he said! It's time to burn this place down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom