Garage Sale Honesty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be afraid of selling anything firearms related at my home!

Lots of good honest people out there, but it only takes one idiot to blab to the wrong person or be checking out your joint to rob ya!

God bless you, and I hope you never have any problems!

This is about the same as putting up a sign or sticker saying anything about being a member of NRA, having a particular brand of firearm, of the "ever-brilliant" sign stating that "This Property is Protected by a 'insert firearm name or caliber here'."

That is why I never "advertise" that I own a firearm (or any other valuable item.) Thieves like those kinds of advertisement.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought this was too good to pass up. The wife and I decided to have a garage sale today. Inadvertently I put out some firearm related items like ammo cans and an optic for sale which signaled some folks to ask if I had any guns/ammo for sale.

One person in particular approached and asked, so I brought out the firearms I was selling. We chat, he asks what I want for them one by one, making various facial expressions as he inspects them, and then moving on to the next one.

After he checked out all of the firearms he looks me dead in the eyes and says that firearm A and B are good prices but that firearm C is way too much. He then says "at that price, I can't make any money on it, that's just how it is, you know?" Then, without any response on my part, he hands me it back, tells me how he buys guns all over the place and shops hundreds of garage sales, and leaves.

Not sure if I should be offended if someone says the quiet part out loud or if I should be thankful for his honesty
He was being polite and explaining why he wasn't going forward with the transaction. This is how men talk to each other. Would you rather he just abruptly walk away with no explanation? His judgement about the value of your guns, or anything else, isn't a personal affront.

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He was being polite and explaining why he wasn't going forward with the transaction. This is how men talk to each other. Would you rather he just abruptly walk away with no explanation? His judgement about the value of your guns, or anything else, isn't a personal affront.
Not sure if all that is true. In the end, he didn't buy anything at all, not even the fairly priced guns. He also didn't make an offer. He simply told me I was wrong on an item and told me he knew he was right and walked away.

Im not sure a man needs to justify his actions to others

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who cares. The whole FFL scheme is unconstitutional.
Unconstitutional or not, it is the law of the land.

The part that bothers me about it is if he's dumb enough to admit out loud to committing a federal crime (engaging in the business of buying and selling firearms without an FFL), he is more than dumb enough to bring that trouble back into your life when you least expect it.

To paraphrase Sheriff Buford T. Justice, you can think about it, but don't you say it.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unconstitutional or not, it is the law of the land.

The part that bothers me about it is if he's dumb enough to admit out loud to committing a federal crime (engaging in the business of buying and selling firearms without an FFL), he is more than dumb enough to bring that trouble back into your life when you least expect it.

To paraphrase Sheriff Buford T. Justice, you can think about it, but don't you say it.
I agree with that.

But then think about it logically. Who is he actually putting in danger or even doing a tort against?

No one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom