Garand loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In preparation for my Garand I am in the process of reloading for 30-06. Id like to know from any of you that load for the Garand what works best and what hasnt. Im currently stocked with H4895 powder CCI primers and various brass. Im looking for 150-170 grain bullet recipies. Ive loaded a small batch of H4895 of 46 grains with a 150 gr. soft point bullet. So all, what worked and what didnt?

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use 46 to 47.5 grains of H4895 in My Garand with whatever 150 gr bullet I can find. When I used to be able to see well enough for open sights it would put 8 into 2 to 2 1/2" at 100 yards.Adjust the powder charge for what works in yours.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep your Garand loads on the light side. Nothing full house. They weren't designed for it.

I have personally met two Garand shooters who suffered gun damage from hot factory loads. Do a good bit of research before you load for it. CB

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Keep your Garand loads on the light side. Nothing full house. They weren't designed for it.

I have personally met two Garand shooters who suffered gun damage from hot factory loads. Do a good bit of research before you load for it. CB

+1,also use fast to medium powders and stay away from heavy bullets and slow powders.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch out for military brass, and segregate it from your commercial. Unlike 5.56 brass the 30.06 and .308 military case walls really are thicker so you'll want to back off your loads a bit. And really watch for high primers cause I hear it told that a slamfire can really ruin your day.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 45gr-Varget behind a 169gr BTHP Nosler match bullet, and 47gr behind a 155gr BTHP Nosler match bullet. Both are a bit low on the load scale but it operates the action fully. (HXP brass)

regards

MAS GunWorks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to the cmp forum. They have a lot of information on reloading for the garand. As stated above load on the light side. If you want to use factory loads replace your gas plug. I believe brownells and midway carry them.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on loading for mine when we us up the greek stuff we got with it. Need to swage the primer pockets, any sugestions for a swager

Latest posts

Top Bottom