Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought about hiding this in the prepping section, but I didn't want it to die on the vine...

After terminating (with extreme prejudice) a mole in the garden and subsequently posting about in the "Moles" thread, I thought the forum could do with a gardening thread. So here goes.

About 10 years ago I moved into my grandparents home. Initially it was a temporary thing while I got the place fixed up prior to selling it, but I couldn't bear the thought of it not being in the family anymore so now it's mine. They had a small garden back in the early 80s, and this year as kind of a Mother's Day gift to my Mom I decided to plant another one in the same spot. I've never had a garden of my own, so it's been quite a learning experience.

I've had goats there for about 6 years, and the thickest bermuda on my place was right where the garden needed to go. After a lot of sweating, cussing and rebuilding a tiller I finally got it ready to plant. Over the last several weeks, Mom and I have planted sweet corn, pole beans, tomatoes, okra, asparagus, squash, zucchini, canteloupe, peppers, egg plant and sweet potatoes. Nothing has died yet, but the season is young and I'm sure the Bermuda grass is plotting its revenge.

I'd love to hear about other OSA gardens, and see some pics. Any pointers or advice would be appreciated, and if nothing else maybe folks can just commiserate after the next hail storm or plague of locusts.

Here's a pic taken earlier.

IMG_0082.JPG

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Onions, Carrots, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Tomatoes, doing great. There is 32 mater plants mostly in the back. Some are in the front with the onions. I have some cucumbers, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, in the mix too. View attachment 101188

Very nice! I planted my first asparagus crowns a few weeks ago, and finally saw a few poking out of the ground today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! I planted my first asparagus crowns a few weeks ago, and finally saw a few poking out of the ground today.

Couple of years before you can do some serious picking. What variety crowns did you plant?
Our asparagus patch is 60' long and 3' wide. Started 30 years ago with Martha Washington crowns. About a dozen. They make the stalks about pencil size or a little bigger and aren't real prolific. About 15 years ago, went with the Jersey Giants. Whoa baby! Those things put on stalks almost quarter sized. So far this year, we have harvested about 12 gallon bags of the stuff, and eat it 2-3 times a week, giving the excess to friends.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I was pretty late, but guess I am not the only one. Sprayed mine with roundup a little over a week ago, I had let it get out of hand this spring. Will be raking it off and tilling it up when this rain dries up and at least get some tomatoes and peppers in. Hope we can find some plants.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy Mom as much as you can, we always invited mine to come over and "supervise" our planting with us after she could not handle picking her own after we helped her put it in. Lost her a few years back and really miss her. Our gardens have not been the same

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Down sized to small above ground, back yard, garden with a few tomatoes, hot peppers and bell peppers. Tomatoes are not doing as well as I had hoped but that may be because this was new soil mixed with mulch and compost. Will be in better shape next year as my barrel compost project will be ready.
Have onions, squash and cucumbers in my sisters garden down the block.
Gone too much to do much more than that, and it's only the wife and I.
A small garden is fun. A real garden (what I grew up with) is work. Ha! But if I was retired, a bigger one would be in the cards.
Love those first tomatoes and when my sister makes my cucumbers into spicy pickles using my mom's secret recipe.
Secret hell, the only one that don't know it is me.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks!!! Mine are in the second year. I decided to wait for the third year before harvesting any asparagus. They say you can harvest a little the second year but better to wait for 3 years. Waiting suppose to produce a better long term stand.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of years before you can do some serious picking. What variety crowns did you plant?
Our asparagus patch is 60' long and 3' wide. Started 30 years ago with Martha Washington crowns. About a dozen. They make the stalks about pencil size or a little bigger and aren't real prolific. About 15 years ago, went with the Jersey Giants. Whoa baby! Those things put on stalks almost quarter sized. So far this year, we have harvested about 12 gallon bags of the stuff, and eat it 2-3 times a week, giving the excess to friends.

Can't remember the variety offhand but it was Jersey something. I planted two 20' rows and figured it would merge into a single bed eventually.

I planted in trenches, and am worried about breaking the stalks when I go to add soil and cover them back up. Thinking about using composted goat bedding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom