Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got two of the 100' that Walmart sells. They put out a little more water at the first of the hose vs toward the end. They weren't very expensive.
I tried hooking them together, but the pressure loss at the 150' mark was down to zero so I ended up using one of those cheap splitters to feed them separately.
I've been having good luck with it, Atwoods carries this, but probably the same everywhere. I buried it down 4"-6", made about a 16" loop around all my tomato and pepper plants. Keeps everything damp down where the roots are and there's very little water loss on the surface. Keeps the leaves from getting wet as well..
I'm already just about out of tomato cage...

7d23cd84-5e94-41a5-b142-6058a5b71fb5_1.343fb0e0914b576ef64270f0d6c774c9.jpeg

i.imgur.com_8f9lq2K.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just lay it on top of the ground.
A side benefit of using a soaker hose is that the weeds in the garden are only localized to where the hose is the rest of the garden stays pretty much weed free because it's dry. In the summer.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a pic I took yesterday. Since this is my first year gardening, I have no frame of reference for how far along things should be. I'm just happy that most everything is still alive. I bought a cheap soaker hose just to try out, and it worked well enough that I bought a few more nice ones along with a pressure regulator. Seriously thinking about using drip tape in next year's garden.

IMG_0113.JPG

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a pic I took yesterday. Since this is my first year gardening, I have no frame of reference for how far along things should be. I'm just happy that most everything is still alive. I bought a cheap soaker hose just to try out, and it worked well enough that I bought a few more nice ones along with a pressure regulator. Seriously thinking about using drip tape in next year's garden.

View attachment 101949
The lack of weeds itself is impressive, good job..

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My lil corn patch hit puberty today..

I've got silk..

Should have sweet corn by July 4th..

i.imgur.com_xfNsxl1.jpg

i.imgur.com_n5b1uM4.jpg

Looking good! One partial row of my corn had ED, which I think is also called lodging. Sandy soil, crazy rain and high wind really messed with the roots, and hilling couldn't save it. Fortunately it was just a few plants, and the other three rows are in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking good! One partial row of my corn had ED, which I think is also called lodging. Sandy soil, crazy rain and high wind really messed with the roots, and hilling couldn't save it. Fortunately it was just a few plants, and the other three rows are in good shape.
Corn definitely isn't for beginners, there's more to it than I thought. Grew some flint corn last year, thought I'd give sweet a try this go round. If it matures fast enough, I'm going to try for a fall crop of Oaxacan dent to grind up and make fresh tortillas, but we'll see. I didn't have good results with a late crop last year, too many bugs present. But this year I've got a secret weapon, pheromone traps..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I tried corn a couple of years and only got scrawny ears and corn borers. Next year poured the nitrogen to the plants and used diatomaceous earth on the tassels to keep out the bugs. Didn't work.
What is this pheromone trap you speak of?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I tried corn a couple of years and only got scrawny ears and corn borers. Next year poured the nitrogen to the plants and used diatomaceous earth on the tassels to keep out the bugs. Didn't work.
What is this pheromone trap you speak of?
In one of my catalogs earlier in the year, I bought a peach borer pheromone trap. It's a little cardboard glue trap that has a little piece of rubber in it that's impregnated with peach borer pheromones. It draws one of the sexes(can't remember which, probably male) into the trap, they get stuck and can't breed. I bet I caught 3-4 dozen borers (6 different targeted species) in a few weeks. It worked so well, I got to looking into it for other species.

Found this place and bought this little trap and some sticky sheet inserts.

www.evergreengrowers.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_90dd2c5f45e5e75568453f8e69a4a1322.jpg

They also sell the pheromone lures as well. They're pretty cheap compared to pesticides.

The bugs that were giving me the most problem last year were the Southwest Corn Borer and the Corn Earworm. So I picked up both of those pheromones. They last for 3-4 weeks, so I bought enough to last for a fall crop. That will be the real test, if I can grow a fall crop. The earworms decimated my fall crop last year, only got a few ears.

The trap has been up a week or so and I've caught 8-10 moths of the variety I'm after, I won't know till I pick the corn if it was successful or not. If it saves me from spraying chemicals every 2-3 days and I get some decent corn, I'll call it a success.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when the suns up..

Latest posts

Top Bottom