Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll be following this to see how your corn comes out.
They use the same, but larger, setup on big farming operations to know when to spray for the buggers, otherwise they're just wasting spray. I will do the same, but won't spray until I see corn earworms show up. Every moth I've caught so far, I think, has been the Southwest corn borer. And with just 3-4 weeks till the plants will be finished, I don't see the SCB's causing too much trouble this go round.

Hartstack_02024res300withcaption%20copy.jpg

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just replanted Beets since they exploded so quickly, peppers are just plants this year lat eyes they per small trees. Romaine Lettuce is lights out this year too

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just replanted Beets since they exploded so quickly, peppers are just plants this year lat eyes they per small trees. Romaine Lettuce is lights out this year too

I have planted green beans three times so far this year and the damn groundhogs keep eating the plants. Got some planted in buckets in a cage now to see if I can get some darn beans.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have planted green beans three times so far this year and the damn groundhogs keep eating the plants. Got some planted in buckets in a cage now to see if I can get some darn beans.

Our beans aren't producing yet, okra is about 18 inches tall but not going crazy like it usually does. Tomatos ....well I simply just can't seem to grow them worth a damn. Peppers , of all kinds well I have had banner crops of these for years. We have an acorn squash that grew from our mulch pile lol it's doing great , last year we had cantaloupe grow (again from a stray seed in the mulch pile) what we don't plant seems to do very well lol

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you might need a good recipe for groundhogs...

Yah, I shot one that was eating leaves out of a mulberry tree the other day. I used a 22/45 and did not make an instant kill shot but I am pretty sure I got him in the upper back. Some local old timers said that powdered lye works pretty good. Gona try that and see how it works. Tried live trap with apples and cantaloupe with no luck.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woke up today to 25 head of cattle fattening themselves in my garden.. Apparently they don't like tomatoes, everything else is gone, replanting starts tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man that sucks.
Grown bumper crops of green beans every year until last year. Something ate three 50' rows. Planted again this year and tilled around them right after they came up. Turkey tracks everywhere. Gone again. I've planted some bunching onions in a huge pot on a whim. Went out yesterday and a danged turkey was standing there eating the tops off the onions. Can't win for loosing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom