Garden and Chickens 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally have a good place to do stuff like this so I think I am going to give a garden a whirl this summer and potentially get some chickens going also. I know there is a plethora of information on both out there but does anyone have any links that they are willing to share that is a crash course to kind of get the ball rolling?

I bought some seed today (corn, cucumber, okra) and will look into doing some potatoes and onions and possibly a few other things eventually.

II figured those three seeds that I bought would be decent starter Gardener choices and can grow from there?

I realize I have much to learn and I'm kind of going at it blind but you got to start somewhere right?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do a soil test first of all and specify on the sample that it is for a garden listing what you want to plant.
The test must be taken at root level and in at least a dozen spots where the planned garden is going to be.
My garden is horribly alkali so I have to add acid to make the soil PH good for growing.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how far away you are from a grocery store, But I could never get potatoes and onions to be financially beneficial to grow. Just too easy to buy and store them. The other thing I learned over the years. Buy a tiller. And cut cucumber and okra daily, or it will get out of hand. Knee pads are also a life saver. Or some kind of pad if you don't have raised beds.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scratched up my dirt last weekend, need to add some cow crap and get it planted over the next few weeks. Anyone ever cover theirs with straw? I hear it helps with weeds and helps keeps the moisture in, you just have to add nitrogen??

Dirt1.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scratched up my dirt last weekend, need to add some cow crap and get it planted over the next few weeks. Anyone ever covered theirs with straw? I hear it helps with weeds and helps keeps the moisture in, you just have to add nitrogen??

View attachment 257831
My buddy tried the cow manure. Had a semi load brought in. There were weeds in there that roundup wouldn't kill. Combines don't get all the wheat from the heads. I've used straw a lot, but you have to expect volunteer wheat to come up.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a bit further north than you guys are (North Central Nebraska) and the ground is still frozen solid here so I still have time to plan things out.

As far as the grocery store, it is about 8 Miles away in either direction but that is not really the point. They are small town grocery stores and if stuff gets stupid I don't want to be the only person around it does not have a food supply. I have been trying to stock up on meats... Currently that is the only thing in my freezer and buying canned goods when I buy the bulk meats but decided as the weather gets better here in the next month or so I need to look into some kind of self-sustaining food source.

I found this from the Farmers Almanac which they said is specific to my area and I will be using it as a guide of when to plant.

I have an old (1968) Cub Cadet garden tractor with a plow and disk I will use to cultivate the soil. The soil up here is ridiculously fertile and easy to work with... So I think it will til very well with just that.

Planting-Zone-4.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom