Garden!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any ya’ll ready to get your Garden on! I am trying to find a good 4ft Rototiller for a small tractor! I am ready to get ours started. We have been using the feed tubs last few years. We just bought another home that has a nice 1/4 acre fenced in garden spot. And a 1/2 acre one. But we old so just going to see how the small one goes.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, 1/4 acre is much bigger than ours. 8'x40' with 8'x8' of that solely for asparagus. But, just 2 of us so it's plenty big enough. Already tilled it all and planted some asparagus in bare spots. Potatoes and onions bought and ready.

Mr. Glock not sure where you're located but I've got a walk behind tiller I could come help if you don't find one for your tractor. 1/4 acre is a little over 10,000 sq ft or 100'x100'. Would take a little while with the walk behind but doable especially if it's not all grass and grown up. Going to be tilling up my Mom's garden this weekend sometime.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on purchasing another property! That’s awesome. Sounds like you’ve got plenty of garden space on your hands.

We always have good luck with squashes and zucchini’s for bulk. A few healthy plants will fill up freezers and provide plenty to eat right away.

I like to till, then spread a nice layer of nutrient rich compost over the garden area. From there we do the cover it with wood chips thing (power company guys will often dump truck loads for free). Then after that, we don’t have to till it again for a long time.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, 1/4 acre is much bigger than ours. 8'x40' with 8'x8' of that solely for asparagus. But, just 2 of us so it's plenty big enough. Already tilled it all and planted some asparagus in bare spots. Potatoes and onions bought and ready.

Mr. Glock not sure where you're located but I've got a walk behind tiller I could come help if you don't find one for your tractor. 1/4 acre is a little over 10,000 sq ft or 100'x100'. Would take a little while with the walk behind but doable especially if it's not all grass and grown up. Going to be tilling up my Mom's garden this weekend sometime.

Thank for the offer! A friend of mine “who I did not know owned a tractor tiller” offered to turn it over for me if I don’t find one in time. Again, thanks for your gracious offer!

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm debating on trying to get my onions planted today. If I till it and it's still too wet then it'll really be muddy if it rains.

I don't plant taters till St Patrick's day. Too early and will be up and frost will burn them . Then they waste a lot of energy getting back up. Still a risk even planted in March. But need planted in time to harvest before heat of summer.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my seed potatoes last week. Just waitng on the weather to get right ( ground temp 50 ). I've planted them in the past as early as the last week of February but usually wait to plant them around St. Patricks day. I've already tilled the garden twice this winter. I think it helps to kill grass roots and bugs somewhat to till up during the winter.

Best move I ever made was to buy my JD utility tractor (bucket, box blade, tiller, pallet forks ) about 15 years ago. This old body gets a lot more accomplished with my JD buddy.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
early spring a comin- hook it up- when the late freeze in April comes- do it again
yep, I've learned the hard way ( which is my most popular way to learn anything ) to NOT plant most of my garden until nearly May 1. I plant potatoes in March, but plant them in a deep furrow....once the first leaves emerge...if frost expected I cover them with another thin layer of soil...slowly filling the furrow up over time until eventually I end up with a mound of soil around the plants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom