Gas Check vs. No Gas Check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to start reloading for my .40 and .45LC. I was looking to use the J&K bullets, but didn't know when & where to use a gas check, and how to add them to the bullets. I have always in the past reloaded with jacketed bullets, and wanted to make sure that I am not missing something. Thanks for any info.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mold that the bullets come out of have to be machined specifically for a gas check. They press on to a recess on the base of the bullet and crimp on when sized.

And J&K's alloy doesn't require a gas check in those calibers. Unless you are pumping that .45LC up to .454 Casull levels that is. :lookaroun :bolt: You should be good up to around 1200 FPS easily with Mitch's bullets.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cast my own bullets and never bother using a gas check for a pistol cartridge. Mainly because I shoot the pistols at a moderate pressure & velocity. A lot of people go by the velocity as a rule instead of pressure. I use pressure as the rule and if I get the velocity I want, that's great. Pressure and bullet fit is the key in working with lead bullets.

Here is a pic from a 45cal bullet I cast for my 45/70. The one on the left is a flat base no check can be applied. The one in the middle is a gas check design w/o the check and the one on the right is the same bullet with the check applied.

Attachments

• bullet 036.jpg
    bullet 036.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 165

Latest posts

Top Bottom