Gas engine power washers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a bottom mounted pump 3000psi/2.7gpm TroyBilt from Lowes about 8 years ago. I didn't expect it to last, but I got it for about $200 after the sale price and a $50 moving coupon. It's actually surprised me, does everything I've needed it to do, power washed a 16x48 deck every year, and about 3000 sq ft of concrete. Wash the cars, loan it to the neighbors, it just keeps on kicking. I thought the pump was out a couple of years ago, that cheap pump is about $75 on EbAy, turned out there was dirt in the carb, cleaned it, put an inline filter on it, and no more issues.

So for me the cheap washer has been a win, I think most of the dead ones you see are from folks that don't know how to use, and take care of a PW or small engine. Mine is running when I am using it, when I am not I turn it off instead of letting it run in bypass mode. When I am done using it I disconnect the hoses and drain them, and I tilt the washer forward and drain the water out.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a bottom mounted pump 3000psi/2.7gpm TroyBilt from Lowes about 8 years ago. I didn't expect it to last, but I got it for about $200 after the sale price and a $50 moving coupon. It's actually surprised me, does everything I've needed it to do, power washed a 16x48 deck every year, and about 3000 sq ft of concrete. Wash the cars, loan it to the neighbors, it just keeps on kicking. I thought the pump was out a couple of years ago, that cheap pump is about $75 on EbAy, turned out there was dirt in the carb, cleaned it, put an inline filter on it, and no more issues.

So for me the cheap washer has been a win, I think most of the dead ones you see are from folks that don't know how to use, and take care of a PW or small engine. Mine is running when I am using it, when I am not I turn it off instead of letting it run in bypass mode. When I am done using it I disconnect the hoses and drain them, and I tilt the washer forward and drain the water out.
That is a good point. When you are not spraying something, either turn it off or pull the trigger if you can move something or shuffle things around one handed. Most of the bottom pumps I’ve seen go bad were let run in bypass for extended lengths of time

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a good point. When you are not spraying something, either turn it off or pull the trigger if you can move something or shuffle things around one handed. Most of the bottom pumps I’ve seen go bad were let run in bypass for extended lengths of time
Don't remember where I got it, but it was made very clear to me that running in bypass mode was hard on the pumps. If you have something that takes more than a minute or so to address, shut it down. The second hardest thing on them was water sitting in them. And of course ethanol gasoline is bad for all small engines.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one from Northern Tool that I thought was pretty solid. It was actually too much for what I needed, but it seemed like a good unit. Never had any issue with it. Had a Honda motor and CAT pump. I'd also check out Chappell Supply on Reno.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't want to go out and search so I researched the internet and found that Simpson builds a pretty good unit so I bought one off of Ebay with a Honda engine. I did want large wheels for easy rolling across different surfaces and it has that also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom