Gas water heater replacement. Possible to DIY?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bradford White 50 gal unit in my home is around 17 years old and probably near end of life. All of the water, gas, and drain lines are fitted via threaded connections and the vent pipe at the top is just foiled taped together.

It sits in a closet in the garage like many homes here.

Assuming I can find a similarly sized new unit, is this just a simple swap out? Or do I have no choice but to pay a plumber to do it?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bradford White 50 gal unit in my home is around 17 years old and probably near end of life. All of the water, gas, and drain lines are fitted via threaded connections and the vent pipe at the top is just foiled taped together.

Assuming I can find a similarly sized new unit, is this just a simple swap out? Or do I have no choice but to pay a plumber to do it?

The biggest risks are making sure the gas line does not leak, the exhaust is vented properly, and that the tank is purged correctly. (Well, those and not hurting yourself while moving the old tank.)
If you do hire a plumber you are probably better off getting the tank your self and then having the plumber install it. (Other wise you are just paying for the plumber's time to go get it for you plus a possible markup.)

Also, If the tank is not rusted out and the burner is still good, it may just need a flush and a new anode rod installed.

Just my $0.02

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest risks are making sure the gas line does not leak, the exhaust is vented properly, and that the tank is purged correctly. (Well, those and not hurting yourself while moving the old tank.)
If you do hire a plumber you are probably better off getting the tank your self and then having the plumber install it. (Other wise you are just paying for the plumber's time to go get it for you plus a possible markup.)

Also, If the tank is not rusted out and the burner is still good, it may just need a flush and a new anode rod installed.

Just my $0.02

Is it worth the hassle to try changing out the anode rod? I don't believe it has ever been done before and I've heard they can get very mineralized and seized in there.

The tank doesn't appear to have any leaks at this time. Just me thinking proactively so I don't have to swap out the unit when I don't have the luxury of time.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going to sell anytime soon?
If so you might as well have a plumber do it and bring it up to code.
I did one myself last year and the pipe in the yard started leaking. They put in a new line to the house but wouldnt turn on the gas til it was brought up to code.
So there went an extra grand.
Tank and instalation runs 1500-1800 depend on where you live.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

why do you assume it is going out? i have had water heaters last much longer. my tankless is 0ver 20 years old

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also if you don't have it already you have to have the tank sitting up on an 18 inch stand now according to code. I think that started in the early 2000's maybe before?

Latest posts

Top Bottom