Gas water heater replacement. Possible to DIY?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be good as long as your connections are good. You do not want a leak. If you have any corrosion I would replace the part that does. Other than that, it is easy. I switched my dads out about 5 months ago. He had a Bradford white 50 gallon as well. He got an AO Smith.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that someone has probably told you by now that the old hot water heater you're taking out is heavier than the new one you intend to install. Reason being, water soaked minerals inside and that stuff makes it heavy. So I make sure everything is out of the way and try to lift and if I can't, I will "walk it" away somehow. I've replaced several water heaters and never had any help.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that someone has probably told you by now that the old hot water heater you're taking out is heavier than the new one you intend to install. Reason being, water soaked minerals inside and that stuff makes it heavy. So I make sure everything is out of the way and try to lift and if I can't, I will "walk it" away somehow. I've replaced several water heaters and never had any help.

Electric heater?
Basically any water heater needs to be drained every year. Hard water deposits can be flushed out so the lower electrical can do it’s job.
Some heaters have two heater units.
Drain to eliminate the scale shed by the electrical elements.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Electric heater?
Basically any water heater needs to be drained every year. Hard water deposits can be flushed out so the lower electrical can do it’s job.
Some heaters have two heater units.
Drain to eliminate the scale shed by the electrical elements.

Make sure the electric to the water heater is OFF when draining the hot water tank. Otherwise, the heating elements could be affected and quit working.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first one i did in my home in 2010 went pretty easy. It took most of the day because it was my first one and didn't want to F something up and be down until i could get a plumber on Monday. New gas lines, new vent pipe, new incoming/outgoing water lines with a shutoff valve on the incoming. When we were prepping the house for sale several months ago our water heater took a crap and it was probably just the thermocoupler thing but i said screw it and called the plumber we have used in the past and he charged about $1300 for a new 40 gallon installed with all new hoses, lines and the whole shebang. He hauled off the old one and only took about 3 hours from start to finish. TOTALLY WORTH IT! Essentially cost me about 500 more than it would have cost me to do myself. However i would have had $1700 in pain, anguish and frustrations. So, i came hour ahead.
You finally figured out what I figured out years ago. Time is money and expertise and knowledge saves time and money. I am a low voltage tech and I know my limitations. I can diagnose and fix about anything low voltage but plumbing and high voltage I leave to the experts. I figure if they have to get licensed and take the tests to do so like I did they should know what the codes are. My point, I know what I charge to make a living. I don't deny other trades their due.

Latest posts

Top Bottom